It was heartwarming to read the endearing story of the love of two people that surpasses their personal disabilities. They need to consider alternative housing that addresses their needs.

The couple are not forced to live in separate housing. Their current housing is voluntary. The agencies providing their housing are private, nonprofits that specialize in services to disabled single persons.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The couple could apply for subsidized housing assistance for the disabled. Or their families could assist in the rental of a one-bedroom apartment and apply to the Department of Social Services for the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program.

The parents expressed concerns about the future of the couple once they pass on. Perhaps some estate planning could allow provisions for the future. There are several options that the family should discuss with an estate lawyer.

Yvonne Johnson-Fassett, Moriches

Editor’s note: The writer works as a benefits specialist advising developmentally disabled people.