1. Eligibility: No purchase necessary. Contest open to persons age 18 and over at the time of entry. Employees of Newsday LLC (the "Sponsor"), its advertising or promotion agencies, parent companies, service providers, agents, officers, subsidiaries or affiliates, or any other persons or entities directly associated with the Contest (collectively, the "Contest Entities") and members of the immediate families of and/or persons living in the same household as such persons are ineligible to enter the Contest. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. Contest is void where prohibited.
2. Contest Entry Period: The Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. on March 16, 2014 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on March 18, 2014 (the “Contest Period”). All times noted for the Contest Period are Eastern Time. To be eligible, entries must be received within the Contest Period.
3. How to Enter: To enter, go to the entry website at www.newsday.com/editorial-madness/#contest, fully complete the entry form, and select the four editorials you believe will receive the most votes in Rounds 1, 2, and 3 as the least liked editorials and the finalists for Newsday’s Editorial Madness Contest. To be eligible, entry must be submitted by the end of the Contest Period, which is 11:59 p.m. on March 18, 2014. Failure to submit all required information in the manner required in these Official Rules or pursuant to the onscreen instructions may result in disqualification. One entry per person. All Entries become the sole property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
4. Winner Selection: Each entrant who correctly picks the four editorials which have been voted by the public as the finalists for Newsday’s Editorial Madness Contest (which voting shall take place from March 16 – March 23, 2014), will be a winner. The decisions of the judges and Sponsor with respect to the selection of the winner(s) and in regard to all matters relating to this contest are within Sponsor’s sole discretion and shall be final. Winner(s) will be notified on or about March 24, 2014 via email and/or telephone.
5. Prizes: Each winner will be invited to lunch with Newsday’s editorial board at a date and time to be determined by Newsday in its sole discretion, at Newsday’s offices located at 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, NY 11747. Approx. prize value: $20.00.
Winner is solely responsible for all state, local or federal taxes associated with the winning of the prize. Any difference between the stated value and the actual value of a prize will not be awarded to the winner. Prizing is not refundable or redeemable for cash or credit at any time. Prize may not be sold or transferred to a third party. No substitutions are allowed, except by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Other prize restrictions may apply.
6. General Conditions: By accepting a prize, winner grants to Sponsor and its parent companies and affiliates the right to use his or her name, likeness, image, voice, testimonial and/or biographical information, in advertising and promotion in all media without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. By entering Contest and/or acceptance of prize, winner agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and its parent companies, affiliates, employees, contractors and agents from any and all loses or injuries of any kind arising out their participation in the Contest and/or acceptance and use of the prize or any technical malfunctions of the network and/or transmission line, computer on-line system, computer dating mechanism, computer equipment, hardware, software, or any combination thereof, or any entries that are late (including delayed data transmissions), tampered with, garbled, incomplete, misdirected, lost, mutilated, delayed, corrupted, mechanically duplicated, illegible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules.. Prize winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility and release within five (5) calendar days of notification and before distribution of prize. Any prize notification not responded to within forty-eight hours, any affidavit/release returned as undeliverable, and/or failure of winners to return the affidavit and release will result in disqualification from the Contest and prize forfeiture. In the event winner fails to claim his/her prize or fails to meet the eligibility requirements, such winner will forfeit his/her prize.
7. Disclaimers: Entrants agree that the Contest Entities are not responsible or liable for damage to an entrant’s and/or third party’s computer system in any way due to an participation in the Contest or downloading any information in connection with the Contest, including without limitation any server failure, lost, delayed or corrupted data or other malfunction. No responsibility is assumed for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected submissions. No responsibility is assumed for technical, hardware, software or other online entry malfunctions of any kind or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest which may limit the ability to participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entry.
8. Internet: If for any reason, this Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, tampering, fraud, technical failure, or any other cause which corrupts or threatens the administration, security or integrity of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate or suspend the Contest or any portion of the Contest. Any attempt to damage or undermine the fair and legitimate operation of this Contest will result in disqualification from the Contest.
9. DISPUTES/CHOICE OF LAW: EACH ENTRANT AGREES THAT THIS CONTEST SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK AND: (A) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THIS CONTEST OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION, AND EXCLUSIVELY BY STATE OR FEDERAL COURTS SITUATED IN NEW YORK, (B) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, BUT IN NO EVENT ATTORNEYS' FEES, (C) NO PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES, MAY BE AWARDED, AND (D) ENTRANT HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM SPECIAL DAMAGES AND ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE SUCH DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR INCREASED.
11. Winners List: For identity of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Winners List, Editorial Madness Contest, Newsday, 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, New York 11747, by September 30, 2014.
Sponsor of this Contest is Newsday LLC (Sponsor or Newsday), 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, New York 11747.