Few Clouds 40° Good Afternoon
Few Clouds 40° Good Afternoon

Space heater blamed in Sparkill fire that destroyed two buildings

Six apartments and three businesses were destroyed in the fire.

SPARKILL - Dozens of people are without a home and three businesses are destroyed after a fire tore through two buildings in Sparkill.

Firefighters say an electric space heater sparked the fire Sunday night on Main Street. Sparkill Fire Chief Mike Yannazzone says the fire moved quickly at a heavy volume between the two buildings. 

No one was injured in the fire, but 27 people who lived in the six apartments above the storefronts lost their homes. A restaurant, a deli and a nail salon also sustained heavy damage.

The Orangetown fire inspector says they're looking at the possibility of an illegal apartment in one of the buildings and violations will likely be issued.

For extended coverage of the fire, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612. 

More news

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.