TODAY'S PAPER
54° Good Afternoon
54° Good Afternoon
SportsBaseball

Golden Era candidates, including Gil Hodges, rejected for inclusion in Hall

One of the franchise's four retired numbers, Gil

One of the franchise's four retired numbers, Gil Hodges took over the sad-sack Mets in 1968 and led them to a championship in 1969. As a member of the 1962 Mets, he hit the first home run in franchise history. Photo Credit: AP File

SAN DIEGO - Gil Hodges fell short again in his Cooperstown bid, but the former Dodger and Met was not alone. The Hall of Fame's Golden Era committee failed to elect any of the 10 candidates Monday during the first day of baseball's winter meetings.

A candidate must receive 75 percent of the vote -- approval from at least 12 of the 16 committee members -- for induction. Hodges, who earned nine votes in 2011, slipped to the group that received three or fewer this time. Ken Boyer, Bob Howsam, Billy Pierce and Luis Tiant also were in that group.

"Only 1 percent of all men to have ever played the game are in Cooperstown," said Jane Forbes Clark, the Hall of Fame's chairman. "So we have a very high standard and we are determined to keep it."

Dick Allen and Tony Oliva narrowly missed induction with 11 votes each. Jim Kaat received 10, Maury Wills had nine and Minnie Minoso eight.

The Golden Era committee, which considers candidates whose primary contributions were from 1947-72, includes Hall of Famers Jim Bunning, Rod Carew, Pat Gillick, Ferguson Jenkins, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith and Don Sutton, along with baseball executives and media members.

The Baseball Writers' Association of America will announce the results of their election on Jan. 6, with Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson and John Smoltz among the new names on this year's ballot.

A's deal Moss to Indians

In what is looking like a Bay Area reboot, A's general manager Billy Beane continued his dismantling of this year's club Monday by trading All-Star first baseman Brandon Moss to the Indians for minor-league infielder Joey Wendle.

Two weeks ago, the A's sent Josh Donaldson, who finished eighth in the AL MVP voting, to the Blue Jays for a four-player package headlined by Brett Lawrie. On the July 31 trade deadline, Beane shipped Yoenis Cespedes to the Red Sox for Jon Lester, now a free agent.

Clock ticking on Lester

With Lester expected to sign at this week's winter meetings, all signs were pointing to a resolution in the next 24 hours. The Red Sox are making a final push to lure him back to Boston and the Cubs, Giants and Dodgers also are in the mix.

"I'm confident we can sign Jon," Red Sox manager John Farrell said.

The pitching market seems to be in a holding pattern as teams wait to see what Lester will get, but a source confirmed Monday that the Cubs agreed on a two-year, $18-million contract with Jason Hammel.

Hammel is only the second free-agent starting pitcher to sign. A.J. Burnett returned to the Pirates last month on a one-year, $8.5-million contract.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

New York Sports