PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Mets first baseman Ike Davis said on Wednesday morning that Team USA has not reached out to him about filling in for the injured Mark Teixeira at the World Baseball Classic. But if he were to get the call, Davis said he would answer it.
"I would go ... as soon as they asked," Davis said.
Last month, Davis said he consented to being placed on the list of eligible players in case injury created an opening on the roster. When Teixeira went down on Tuesday with a forearm issue, Davis heard from Mets teammate and Team USA third baseman David Wright.
Manager Joe Torre had inquired about Davis, Wright relayed via text message. Wright told Davis he offered a good review.
"He says he did. I didn't make the team, so..." Davis said with a laugh. "Obviously David was pulling for me, but they've got Paul Konerko out there or whoever, Ryan Howard. Those are pretty big names, and they've been doing it a lot longer than I have, so whoever gets the nod is probably deserving."
Torre has already mentioned the White Sox veteran Konerko as a possible replacement. Prince Fielder of the Tigers and Ryan Howard of the Phillies also remain possibilities.
The latter two, just like Davis, are lefthanded. And Team USA's righty-heavy lineup could use some pop from the left side.
"Obviously, they've got tons of options at first base," said Davis, who bashed 32 homers last season. "I'm just glad they even thought about me."
Davis said he may get a call in case of another injury. But it may not have to come down to that for Davis to make the squad. Team USA general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. indicated on Tuesday that finding a replacement may simply come down to who would be willing to play in the tournament.
"This is the all-volunteer army," Garagiola said. "We can't make anyone play if they don't want to play."
If the call comes for Davis, it would have to come soon. Team USA begins play on Friday against Mexico.