TODAY'S PAPER
64° Good Evening
64° Good Evening
SportsBaseballMets

Alderson, Reyes: No contract talks now

Jose Reyes of the Mets during batting practice

Jose Reyes of the Mets during batting practice before playing against the Yankees at CitiField. (July 1, 2011) Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac

LOS ANGELES -- Despite the hamstring injury to Jose Reyes and his upcoming stint on the disabled list, there has been no revisiting of contract talks between the All-Star shortstop and the Mets.

Sandy Alderson contacted Reyes' agents last month and was told they would like to wait until the end of the season before holding negotiations. Since then, both sides have maintained that stance despite a published report Thursday that stated "secret" talks are under way.

"We reached out, they respectfully declined, which was an appropriate response on their part, so we honor that," the general manager said before Thursday night's game. "There is nothing going on otherwise. Even secretly. Even super-secretly."

Chris Leible, one of Reyes' agents, repeated the same line, saying "nothing has changed." Reyes has been adamant since last November about waiting until he hits free agency, and he still feels that way, even after he was placed on the disabled list Thursday.

"Nothing has changed," Reyes said. "Right now, I don't think about that. I try to go back to the field as soon as possible, try to finish the second half strong, so I don't think about my contract right now."

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

New York Sports