Good Afternoon
Good Afternoon

Andrew Brown's walk-off two-run single in 13th inning gives Mets thrilling win over Diamondbacks

Andrew Brown celebrates his two-run game-winning base hit

Andrew Brown celebrates his two-run game-winning base hit in the 13th inning of a game against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Citi Field. (July 1, 2013) Credit: Jim McIsaac

It didn't have the energy of a Zack Wheeler or Matt Harvey start at the beginning. But the Mets-Diamondbacks game Monday night had plenty of energy at the end -- even if the crowd of 22,240 had dwindled to a hardy few thousand by the time it concluded at 12:24 Tuesday morning with a thrilling 5-4, 13-inning Mets win.

Andrew Brown's two-out, two-run single to left-centerfield on an 0-and-2 pitch from Josh Collmenter ended the 5:14 affair with a Mets celebration (not too over-the-top, so Bob Costas shouldn't have any issues this time).

The Diamondbacks had taken the lead in the top of the 13th on a home run by Cody Ross off David Aardsma (1-0), who picked up the win.

It was the Mets' third-longest game this season. They had previously lost in 20 innings and 15 innings, both to Miami.

"It feels great," manager Terry Collins said. "If you're going to be out for that long, you might as well win the game. We wanted that game bad.''

The Mets, who wound up with 16 hits and 11 walks, were 4-for-19 with runners in scoring position entering the 13th and had left 18 men on base.

Josh Satin, who tied the score with an RBI single in the ninth, began the winning rally with a one-out double against Collmenter (4-1). "He's getting big hits for us," Collins said. "I'll tell you what, every team has somebody that surprises you and saves you. Right now, he's our savior because this guy has come up and filled a big hole for us.''

After an intentional walk to John Buck, pinch hitter Harvey (the Mets were out of position players) bunted the runners along to second and third. Omar Quintanilla was intentionally walked to load the bases before Brown delivered his first career walk-off hit.

"It's undescribable," Brown said. "To go out there and get a win the way we did. We didn't quit playing. That's the best baseball you could have."

The Mets trailed 3-0 after 61/2 innings but scored single runs in the seventh, eighth and ninth to send the game to extra innings. They tied it in the ninth on a double by Marlon Byrd and an RBI single by Satin, but a baserunning blunder by Buck sent the game to the 10th.

With the Mets down 3-2, Byrd hit a one-out double against J.J. Putz off the orange line atop the wall in left-centerfield. After a video review, umpires confirmed the ball did not go over the line for a home run.

No matter. Satin lined a single to left to drive in Byrd, and the throw home was muffed by Miguel Montero for an error as Satin took second.

Buck (0-for-4, three strikeouts, three walks, two intentional) walked on a 3-and-2 pitch, but Juan Lagares popped out to right for the second out.

With Quintanilla batting, Putz bounced a pitch that squirted away from Montero and the runners took off. Good, right? Except that Buck -- whose run meant nothing -- was thrown out at second by Montero to force extra innings.

After the excitement of Wheeler's home debut on Sunday -- even though the rookie was hit hard -- Citi Field was back to a more familiar low-key, small-turnout vibe.

Fans who arrived late missed Paul Goldschmidt's two-run homer with one out in the first.

Fans who arrived even later didn't get to see the Mets load the bases with two outs in the bottom half before Buck looked at a called third strike to end it.

Arizona went ahead 3-0 in the second on Aaron Hill's RBI single. In the seventh, Young walked and scored on David Wright's single. In the eighth, Quintanilla tripled and scored on Young's two-out double to make it 3-2.

Sign up for Newsday’s Mets Messages for updates directly to your phone via text, free with a Newsday digital subscription. Learn more at

New York Sports