Turns out last week's optimistic timetable on David Wright's return from his hamstring injury was too optimistic.
General manager Sandy Alderson said Thursday night that Wright likely will remain sidelined until May 8, when the Mets open a series in Philadelphia. Wright, who went on the disabled list on April 15, had been hoping to play this weekend against the Nationals.
"David was hoping he could push the envelope a little bit," Alderson said. "But he's right on schedule. He certainly hasn't had a setback."
Wright will continue working in Port St. Lucie, Florida, Alderson said, and might get into a rehab game by the middle of next week.
Montero to DL
An MRI showed Rafael Montero has inflammation in the rotator cuff. The righthander will be shut down for at least three days. Montero, who started for the Mets on Tuesday against the Marlins and then was sent down to Triple-A Las Vegas, had the demotion rescinded and was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
"Shouldn't be too serious," Alderson said. "Hopefully will not be too long."
With Montero sidelined, Noah Syndergaard and/or Steven Matz would be next up if the Mets need a starter. Which one would get the call first? "We're happy that we have them both and that they both appear to be making good progress and seem to be close," Alderson said. "I'd hesitate to designate either one of them 1 or 2 or 1A or 1B."
Ward Melville product Matz started Thursday night for Las Vegas and entered 2-1 with a 2.01 ERA. Syndergaard is 1-0 with a 2.45 ERA. "Syndergaard has only thrown [142/3] innings," Alderson said. "He was outstanding last time out. Matz has thrown a few more [221/3] and has been very good also."
Sign up for Newsday’s Mets Messages for updates directly to your phone via text, free with a Newsday digital subscription. Learn more at newsday.com/metstext.