The Mets may have thought their day got off to a rough start when they learned Bobby Parnell will be out a few more days with a stiff neck and Josh Edgin has been lost for at least a month with a broken rib. But that may have been the least of it.

The sight of David Wright limping off the field in the 10th inning Friday night after hurting his right hamstring while legging out an infield single was a frustrating one for the Mets, especially considering all the events that conspired to lead to that moment.

That the Mets wound up beating the Kansas City Royals, 4-2, on Eric Young Jr.'s walk-off two-run home run to rightfield with two outs in the 11th was a nice consolation, but it couldn't take away the sting of this injury-flavored night at Citi Field.

The ripple effect of the two bullpen injuries led the Mets down a road of ineffective relievers, costing them a two-run eighth-inning lead and forcing them to use Saturday's scheduled starting pitcher, Carlos Torres, in extra innings.

But that all paled when compared with the blow of Wright's injury. He will undergo an MRI Saturday morning, but the Mets are expecting the worst -- an extended stint on the disabled list. Mets manager Terry Collins said Wright's injury "most likely [is] not all that good."

Wright was getting treated in the trainer's room after the game and said through a spokesman that he didn't want to discuss the injury until he learned its extent.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

"Obviously, to see your captain in David go down like that, grabbing his hamstring -- we're just praying it's nothing serious," Dillon Gee said.

Wright has been dealing with cramping in his hamstring in recent days, but he was adamant about staying on the field until his luck ran out Friday night. Mets trainer Ray Ramirez and Collins raced out of the dugout to check on Wright when he grabbed his hamstring in the 10th.

He gingerly walked around in foul territory before agreeing to come out of the game.

Until then, Wright was the Mets' entire offense with a two-run homer in the first. Gee made that stand up through seven shutout innings before the absence of Parnell and Edgin played a pivotal role.

After walking Lorenzo Cain leading off the eighth, Gee was removed in favor of Scott Rice, filling in for Edgin as the lefty specialist. Cain advanced to second when Rice hit Alex Gordon with a pitch and reached third when Eric Hosmer grounded back to the pitcher.

LaTroy Hawkins induced a grounder from Salvador Perez to Wright for a potential inning-ending double play, but Perez beat the relay throw and Cain scored to make it 2-1.

David Aardsma, filling in for Parnell as the closer, failed to hold the lead in the ninth and spoiled the Mets' chance at a regulation victory over the Royals (54-52), who came in with nine straight victories.

Two walks after Miguel Tejada led off the inning with a double, Cain's sacrifice fly tied it.

Pedro Feliciano, who took Edgin's roster spot and arrived midgame, came in for Aardsma and got Alex Gordon to ground out to keep the score tied. It was his first major-league appearance since 2010.

Notes & quotes: Jon Niese, on the disabled list since June 21 with a rotator cuff tear, will pitch another minor-league rehab game, likely Tuesday, which the Mets hope will be his last before returning.