Good Morning
Good Morning

Hansel Robles ready to move on after quick pitch suspension appeal

Hansel Robles (47) looks back to the

Hansel Robles (47) looks back to the field after being ejected for nearly hitting Phillies' Cameron Rupp with a quick pitch in sixth inning on Sept. 30, 2015, in Philadelphia. Credit: AP / Matt Slocum

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Mets reliever Hansel Robles is ready to move on now that he’s reached a settlement that reduced his original suspension from three games to two. He’ll miss the season-opening series against the Royals in Kansas City.

“That was just the decision taken the way it ended up,” Robles said through a translator on Thursday. “I’ll be suspended for two games and that’s that. There’s really nothing to do. Just move on from that.”

Robles appealed after being given a three-game suspension for a Sept. 30 incident in which he threw a quick pitch that buzzed the head of the Phillies’ Cameron Rupp.

“It was never intentional, but that was the decision taken,” Robles said. “So that’s that.”

Nimmo sidelined

Mets prospect Brandon Nimmo said he still faces two or three more weeks of rehab before resuming baseball activities. He is recovering from a torn tendon in his left foot.

“It’s definitely not how I pictured starting the season,” said Nimmo, the Mets’ first-round draft pick in 2011. “But the nice part is it seems to be a lot less serious than what we thought at first. I’m looking to just get this rehab process done this time. Hopefully, we’ll have a healthy season and not deal with it anymore.”

Nimmo, 22, said he was working out on Jan. 18 with no issues. He ate lunch after finishing his conditioning work. For an hour, he rested on a couch. But when he got up, Nimmo said he felt as if he had a broken foot.

When a week of rest did little to relieve the pain, Nimmo saw doctors and received platelet-rich plasma therapy to help speed up the healing process.

Nimmo had a .269/.362/.372 slash line last season in the minors. He ended the season with Triple-A Las Vegas after spending most of the year at Double-A Binghamton.

It begins

Manager Terry Collins intends to address the Mets on Friday when the full squad assembles for its first official workout.

“For me, it’s the biggest day a manager has,” he said. “He sets the tone of what to expect, and what’s going on, and how we’re going to look at things. You’re allowed to send your message one time, pretty much, and then follow through with it. So [Friday’s] kind of a big day.”

Sign up for Newsday’s Mets Messages for updates directly to your phone via text, free with a Newsday digital subscription. Learn more at

New York Sports