67° Good Morning
67° Good Morning

Reyes gets first 4-hit game as a Marlin

Jose Reyes rounds second base on his way

Jose Reyes rounds second base on his way to a triple against the Mets. (May 11, 2012) Credit: Getty Images

MIAMI -- Hidden in what the Marlins would consider the mess of a 9-3 loss might have been one of the keys to their season. Jose Reyes finally broke out Saturday. Having struggled since Opening Day, he had more than two hits in a game for the first time with his new club, going 4-for-5.

"I got four hits today, but I'm still not quite where I want to be. But it's getting close," he said after raising his average to .256.

Players on the other side noticed. Of course, they didn't need any convincing.

"He's a pretty good player," David Wright said with a grin. "He can have four hits as long as we win the game. The single up the middle in the ninth, he can have that as long as we win the game."

It was definitely a much better day than any Reyes had against the Mets at Citi Field last month.

"It's fun to watch him play," Wright said. "Coming into New York, you didn't get to see the real Jose because of all the distractions going on around him."

Byrdak again

Tim Byrdak made his major league-leading 20th appearance, coming in to face one batter and leaving with a strikeout of Logan Morrison in the seventh when the score was 7-3 . . . Bobby Parnell pitched a flawless eighth inning . . . Lucas Duda made a heads-up baserunning move in the fifth, racing to third on an infield single when he saw no one was covering. "Tremendous play," Terry Collins said. "Did he beat Jose to the bag? I have to tell Jose about that tomorrow."

Eye contact with gunman

The catcher's interference call against Brett Hayes in the fourth inning was not the scariest moment in his week, by a long shot. Hayes and his wife were heading to a birthday party on the Marlins' day off Thursday when they became stuck in traffic. They discovered the jam was caused by a gunman who shot and wounded two law enforcement officers. The gunman walked right past the Hayes' car and made eye contact with the player. Hayes looked away and told his wife to do the same, a timely case of non-interference. The man walked past them and kept going. News reports said the gunman killed himself.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

New York Sports