Good Morning
Good Morning

Matt Harvey pitches four shutout innings in second outing

Matt Harvey of the New York Mets throws

Matt Harvey of the New York Mets throws a pitch during the first inning of a spring training game against the Miami Marlins at Roger Dean Stadium on March 13, 2016 in Jupiter, Fla. Credit: Getty Images / Stacy Revere

JUPITER, Fla. — Matt Harvey looks ready for the season. He says he’s not. Hitters may disagree. Harvey dominated the Marlins in his four shutout innings Sunday in the Mets’ 11-0 victory at Roger Dean Stadium.

Featuring a fastball in the high 90s and slider in the low 90s, Harvey allowed one hit, walked two and struck out four in his second exhibition start. Still, Harvey tried not to be too impressed with the results or the radar-gun readings three weeks before the season opener.

“I think I looked up at one point and it said 47 miles per hour,” he said. “I threw the fastball as hard as I could. It feels good. I don’t know how hard it is, but I’m pretty happy with the way things are.”

Cabrera surprised

Asdrubal Cabrera returned from New York and said he was surprised when an MRI taken Thursday showed he had suffered a strained patellar tendon in his left knee while running the bases.

Cabrera sounded as if he won’t be surprised if he misses the April 3 season opener because of it.

“I started walking really good after the game, but the MRI said that I [strained] the knee,” Cabrera said. “I just want to be healthy. That takes time. I want to be ready for the Opening Day, of course. But we’ve got to see how these first two weeks go.”

Cabrera will remain inactive for at least two weeks after receiving a platelet-rich plasma injection on Friday. He said the knee stiffened up more from the shot than from the baserunning mishap.

Up the middle

Prospect Matt Reynolds (0-for-3) started at shortstop with Ruben Tejada (2-for-3, double, triple, three RBIs) at second base for the first time since his leg was broken by Chase Utley’s slide in the NLDS. Tejada is making a bid for the shortstop job in Cabrera’s absence or is increasing his trade value if the Mets decide to move him.

Second baseman Dilson Herrera left the game after fouling a ball off his left knee in the ninth inning. Herrera is slated to join the Colombian team in Panama City, Panama, on Monday for a World Baseball Classic qualifying round.

Sign up for Newsday’s Mets Messages for updates directly to your phone via text, free with a Newsday digital subscription. Learn more at

New York Sports