Wilmer Flores. Jose Bautista. Jay Bruce and Kevin Plawecki.
Any way you slice it, the Mets haven’t necessarily had the best options for long-term solutions at first base. Despite that, there’s still a chance that fans won’t get to see Peter Alonso, the first baseman they’re really clamoring for when the rosters expand Sept. 1.
Mickey Callaway said Saturday that though Alonso “is definitely a name we’re discussing,” the team is still looking at “the pros and cons of what we’re trying to do with him” — namely with regard to his questionable defense.
“I think that we want to make sure that he’s developed and when he comes up here, he’s ready to play at the major-league level,” Callaway said. “It’s not just about swinging the bat here. It’s about defense as well. We want to make sure he’s in a good spot in his overall game and the things we’re going to value in an organization before we put him in that position.”
Alonso has a .243/.345/.545 slash line in 58 games with Triple-A Las Vegas, with 17 home runs and 57 RBIs going into Saturday. The 23-year-old has shown some improvement at first base — he has nine errors in 102 Double-A and Triple-A games this year, as opposed to 19 in the minor leagues last year — and the 51s named him defensive player of the month in July.
The Mets’ other first-base prospect, Dom Smith, is being groomed for the outfield. Career rightfielder Jay Bruce, 31, is currently their answer at first in 2019.
Callaway said the Mets want to use Alonso in a way that benefits him not only this year but in the future. September call-ups will be based on “what our team looks like, at what we need to see play, what positions,” he said.
“We have a decent idea of who we want to come up. We’re in a decent spot. I think it’s going to be a fun September.”
Mesoraco still in pain
Devin Mesoraco (neck) has a muscular injury that should be able to be managed with medication, Callaway said. He can catch one or two innings, if necessary, but likely cannot swing a bat. Plawecki is still awaiting the birth of his child and will be placed on paternity leave.
Jeff McNeil singled in the first to extend his hitting streak to 10 games . . . Bruce will play first base Sunday.
Sign up for Newsday’s Mets Messages for updates directly to your phone via text, free with a Newsday digital subscription. Learn more at newsday.com/metstext.