The Mets formally introduced first-round draft pick Michael Conforto on Friday shortly after awarding him a $2.97-million signing bonus. A deal had been expected despite a delay to hammer out contract specifics.
"It is a dream come true," said Conforto, who took batting practice with the Mets before Friday night's game against the Marlins. "There's no feeling like it. It's kind of indescribable."
Conforto, 21, hit .345 with seven homers and 56 RBIs in his junior year at Oregon State. The outfielder, who was chosen 10th overall, had been the top hitter on the Mets' draft board. Scouting director Tommy Tanous praised Conforto's disciplined approach.
"We were concerned that he might not be available to us at 10," general manager Sandy Alderson said. "We were ecstatic that he was and we were able to make the selection."
Conforto will report to Class A Brooklyn, but Alderson said he could be promoted to a higher minor-league level before the end of the summer.
"I'm definitely cherishing this day," Conforto said. "I'm going to remember it for a long time."
Matt Harvey almost certainly won't pitch this season, which seems to be just fine with his agent, Scott Boras. From recent research done by his agency, Boras said the ideal timeline for returning from Tommy John surgery is 14 to 16 months. Harvey had the surgery on Oct. 22, 2013.
Said Boras: "With elite athletes, high-velo guys, to err on conservatism and more time I think is the proper course."
Scott Rice is seeking a second opinion about a bone spur that doctors discovered in his left elbow. According to a source, Rice is deciding between rehab and surgery . . . Jeremy Hefner will pitch an inning in the Gulf Coast League Saturday morning, his first game action since last August's Tommy John surgery.
Sign up for Newsday’s Mets Messages for updates directly to your phone via text, free with a Newsday digital subscription. Learn more at newsday.com/metstext.