Top pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard might benefit from a September call-up, general manager Sandy Alderson said Tuesday, though the Mets' 40-man roster crunch might work against a promotion.
Said Alderson: "We don't have 40-man roster spots readily available for everybody we'd potentially like to see in September."
Barring a trade -- Bartolo Colon has reportedly cleared waivers -- the Mets will have just three open roster spots. A player must be on the 40-man roster to be promoted when rosters expand Sept. 1.
According to team officials, the Mets have not had full discussions regarding September call-ups. But last week, manager Terry Collins indicated that Syndergaard's innings limit might stand in the way of a potential promotion.
Syndergaard, 21, is 8-7 with a 4.85 ERA while enduring some inconsistency at Triple-A Las Vegas. Despite the numbers, a team insider bristled at the notion that Syndergaard has been a disappointment.
"It's crazy how he goes from a great prospect to a disappointment after one bad game or even a tough inning," the insider said. "He's 21 in Triple-A with huge potential. We think we have a very good pitcher, as do the other 29 teams that would trade for him in a minute."
The Mets beat the Braves, 3-2, Tuesday night despite taking the field four players short. The Mets were without David Wright (neck) and Daniel Murphy (calf strain) in addition to relievers Vic Black and Josh Edgin. Collins did not disclose the issues that sidelined his relievers, though he indicated that Edgin might still be out Wednesday night.
"We were pretty thin," Collins said.
With the bullpen short, Jeurys Familia tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings in relief.
The Mets should be closer to full-strength Wednesday night, with Murphy expected to return. Wright could be back, as well, one day after he was held out with muscle spasms that limited movement in his neck.
Injured pitcher Jeremy Hefner is still mulling a second Tommy John surgery after suffering a major setback in rehab. The righthander intends to keep pitching . . . The Mets' Triple-A affiliate will likely remain in Las Vegas through the next two seasons.
Sign up for Newsday’s Mets Messages for updates directly to your phone via text, free with a Newsday digital subscription. Learn more at newsday.com/metstext.