WASHINGTON — After suffering a strained right hamstring in the first inning of the Mets’ 4-2 victory over the Nationals on Friday night, Yoenis Cespedes said he intends to re-evaluate the way he prepares for a season.
“I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do,” he said through a translator. “But obviously we all know I need to make some changes, so that I will definitely do.”
Cespedes has a long history of leg injuries, and his latest hamstring injury is similar in severity and location to a left hamstring strain that sidelined him for six weeks this season, general manager Sandy Alderson said. Cespedes will be examined in New York on Monday and placed on the disabled list.
While Alderson said Cespedes’ season is in “jeopardy,” he did not rule out a return before season’s end. Cespedes also expressed some optimism about returning to action faster than last time.
For the first time publicly, Ces pedes revealed that his return from his last DL stint was delayed for about 10 days by what he called a pinched nerve near his glutes, which he suffered while getting a massage as he approached the end of his rehab.
“We had a little bit of an error when I was working with the trainer down there and it looks like we kind of almost pinched a nerve a little bit, so that really delayed me for like 10 days,” Cespedes said. “So taking that into account, I’m hoping that this time around, it doesn’t take anywhere near that long for me to return.”
The injury overshadowed another brilliant outing by Jacob deGrom. Facing a Nationals lineup watered down by health issues of its own, deGrom shook off lingering soreness in his right foot and allowed one run and five hits in 7 2⁄3 innings. He struck out 10, providing a rare highlight in a week in which the Mets have been slammed by injuries.
“Here we go again,” deGrom said when asked about his reaction to the latest player loss. “Is this really happening?”
Cespedes was on second base when rookie Dominic Smith hit a grounder up the middle that struck second-base umpire Andy Fletcher. By rule, it was a dead ball, entitling the runners to move up one base. But the play was behind Cespedes, who bolted on contact and ran hard in an attempt to score.
As he approached third base, Cespedes pulled up before hobbling home. Manager Terry Collins and trainer Ray Ramirez emerged from the dugout to check on Cespedes, who was doubled over in pain. He walked off the field under his own power but appeared to have trouble putting weight on his right leg.
It was yet another troubling sight for the Mets, who earlier in the day placed Michael Conforto on the disabled list. On Thursday, the outfielder dislocated his left (non-throwing) shoulder and suffered a capsule tear on a routine swing-and-miss.
“This is new for me, for probably anybody else who’s ever managed to have these kinds of things pop up,” Collins said.
Cespedes signed a four-year, $110-million deal in the offseason. He missed six weeks earlier this season with a left hamstring strain and a right quadriceps injury that he aggravated during his minor-league rehab.
Upon his return in June, Cespedes hoped that a new pregame routine and an emphasis on staying hydrated might keep him healthy. Those measures appear to have failed.
“It’s been very frustrating because I know how much work I put in this offseason to be ready this year, probably more than ever,” Cespedes said. “And I’ve just had injury after injury. This one in particular was so frustrating because I think right before this, I felt the best I’d felt all season long, so it’s definitely frustrating.”
Cespedes began play hitting .292 with 17 homers and 42 RBIs, but his production had spiked. Since the All-Star break, he had hit .321 with nine doubles, eight homers and 23 RBIs.
His inability to stay on the field has contributed to scrutiny of the Mets’ medical and training staff. Still, Cespedes indicated he will continue to work with Mike Barwis, who oversees the team’s strength and conditioning programs.
“I think I would consider different methods,” Cespedes said. “That doesn’t mean I’m not going to be there working with Barwis. I think it just means with him, we’re probably going to look at doing some different exercises.”
The Mets have endured a brutal week on the injury front. Steven Matz had season-ending elbow surgery on Wednesday and Conforto might not be far behind. On Thursday, the Mets announced that Zack Wheeler will be shut down. He had been on the DL since July 23 with a stress injury in his right shoulder.
Now Cespedes could be done for the year.
“Of course I’m going to work hard and try and get back as soon as I can,” he said. “But I’m not going to push myself to come back if I’m not 100 percent.”
Notes & quotes: David Wright went 1-for-3 and played five innings at third base in a rehab game for Class A St. Lucie. He had an assist, a putout and a fielding error. It was his first game in the field since 2016 . . . Seth Lugo (shoulder impingement) is expected to start in Sunday’s doubleheader. He threw all of his pitches during a bullpen session on Friday, the last hurdle he needed to clear for a return from the disabled list . . . Jose Reyes (oblique) is eligible to come off the DL Saturday and will begin taking fly balls in the outfield . . . Bad weather pushed Matt Harvey’s rehab start to Saturday night with Double-A Binghamton.