For nearly a week, the Mets and Michael Conforto stubbornly held out hope of sidestepping a stint on the disabled list. The outfielder remained on the active roster even though his aching left hand kept him from contributing.
But before Saturday’s 7-6 win over the Phillies, the Mets finally accepted what increasingly had become the most likely scenario, placing Conforto on the 10-day disabled list with what the team is calling a bruised hand.
“Going out there and making it worse wouldn’t be good,” said Conforto, who is expected to return July 8.
Conforto was struck on the hand in last Sunday’s victory over the Giants. He hadn’t played since with lingering soreness.
Tests ruled out a fracture, but the injury capped what had been a mostly forgettable month for the 24-year-old. In 22 games in June, Conforto hit .206 with a homer and seven RBIs. His swoon came after he hit .316 with 13 homers and 34 RBIs in the first two months.
Conforto won’t swing for a few days in hopes that the tightness in his hand will subside.
“It’s a bummer I have to miss the Nationals series,” Conforto said. “Those are always awesome series to be a part of.”
Jeurys Familia soon could begin his road back from surgery to remove a blood clot. Manager Terry Collins said Familia could begin working at the team’s complex in Florida next week, with hopes of returning in early August. Said Collins: “We’re at least at a starting point where there is some light at the end of the tunnel where we think he’ll be back.” . . . Lucas Duda hit his 14th homer, a towering shot that struck the apple in centerfield, after missing the previous two games with flu symptoms . . . If Jacob deGrom is selected and then pitches in the All-Star Game, he likely will not start the first game of the second half.