PHOENIX -- Initially, the Mets expected third baseman David Wright to miss three to five weeks as he recovered from a strained hamstring. But manager Terry Collins said Friday that he has no timetable for Wright's return this season.
"I hope he does return," Collins said. "There is absolutely no timetable at all."
Wright landed on the disabled list last week after playing through a hamstring issue that eventually worsened. He remains in New York, unable to participate in baseball activities.
Wilmer Flores will fill in for Wright at third base, though Collins said the prospect also might see some action at second base.
Platoon at first
Ike Davis will remain in a platoon at first base until Collins sees him taking "good, aggressive swings" against lefthanded pitchers. Righthanded-hitting Josh Satin started at first base Friday night against Arizona lefty Patrick Corbin.
Satin entered the game hitting .390 with seven doubles against lefties this season, part of the reason Collins continues to use his bat in the platoon. Also, Flores' promotion to play third base squeezed Satin out of some playing time, leaving his only opening at first base.
Though LaTroy Hawkins nailed down the Mets' last two save chances, Collins said he might go to David Aardsma, the Mariners' closer for a couple of seasons, or Carlos Torres when the next save chance comes up. "I'm not committed to anybody," Collins said. The Mets have had to manage the workload of the 40-year-old Hawkins . . . Marlon Byrd started in rightfield Friday night, but Collins said he is due for a breather. Byrd hit .174 with two doubles during the Mets' homestand . . . Justin Turner started at shortstop for Omar Quintanilla. Turner also might start at second later in the road trip to give Daniel Murphy a breather.
Sign up for Newsday’s Mets Messages for updates directly to your phone via text, free with a Newsday digital subscription. Learn more at newsday.com/metstext.