Scattered Clouds 44° Good Afternoon
Scattered Clouds 44° Good Afternoon

Wilmer Flores in lineup, but runs still hard to come by as Mets lose seventh of eight

Wilmer Flores strikes out in the fifth inning

Wilmer Flores strikes out in the fifth inning against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citi Field on Friday, May 9, 2014. Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac

Here's the Twitter version (minimum words) of the latest Citi Field exasperation Friday night: Mets score! Mets lose. Again.

Philadelphia 3, Mets 2. That's seven losses in eight games. And the temporary salve of actually pushing a couple of men across the plate, and conjuring a 2-2 tie in the eighth inning, dissipated completely when Marlon Byrd -- once a Mets offensive threat -- drove in the winner with a one-out, 11th-inning double down the rightfield line against Carlos Torres (2-2, 3.15), the seventh Mets pitcher.

The game lasted a painful 4 hours, 39 minutes, with an excruciating total of 32 men left on base -- 15 by the Mets, 17 by Philadelphia.

All the false starts eventually did in the Mets, though David Wright argued that it "would be a whole different issue if we weren't getting people on base. It's frustrating, but that would be multiplied if we weren't getting guys out there. It was the same with the Phillies. They put a lot of guys out there also.

"It was just a matter of time before somebody got that big hit. They beat us to it. We had plenty of opportunities."

Consider that the Mets started the night facing a man (Roberto Hernandez) who pitched under an assumed name (Fausto Carmona) his first six years in the big leagues.

Note that, for 7 2/3 innings, there was no mistaking the home team for anything other than that woebegone club that had entered the night without a run since Monday.

The Mets at last ended their scoring drought on Curtis Granderson's first-inning double after putting up zeros for 23 consecutive innings, their longest such stretch since mid-July of 2010.

And it was Wright whose two-out RBI double in the eighth inning pulled the Mets into a 2-2 tie after Domonic Brown's fifth-inning single put Philadelphia ahead 2-1 and chased Mets starter Jenrry Mejia, whose pitch count already was as high (101) as manager Terry Collins wanted to go.

It was Mejia's third straight shaky start -- "He's had better, and with worse results," Collins said, "but I liked the way he kept the damage to a minimum" -- and there has been talk he could be ticketed for the bullpen.

"I think I'm a starter," Mejia said. "I make an adjustment and today I think a couple of pitches, but I was not bad."

He allowed two runs, six hits, three walks and a hit batsman in 4 2/3 innings.

As for welcoming Wilmer Flores from Triple-A Las Vegas for his bat although he could be a considerable risk at shortstop, immediate results did not ensue. Flores left the bases loaded in the first inning when his fly ball to medium center desperately could have used Nevada's thin air to provide some dangerous distance.

He singled twice and struck out twice, stranding five, but did complete routine plays in the field.

Meanwhile, the Mets' ship continued to spring other leaks. Philadelphia stole three bases, a considerable dent in the Mets' previous total of seven.

First baseman Lucas Duda was unavailable, so dehydrated with stomach flu that he was hospitalized and put on an IV. His replacement at first base, Josh Satin, went 0-for-5 and struck out twice, once with the bases loaded and once with two men aboard.

New York Sports