The Mets have targeted July 22 as the probable return date for David Wright, who is expected to start playing in rehab games Wednesday for Class A St. Lucie. Wright is running and taking batting practice, with the plan to begin sliding Monday, the final hurdle in getting back to game speed again.
"He's running at almost 100 percent," Terry Collins said Saturday night. "We need to get his legs under him because when he starts playing, he's going to be sore."
It's been a while. Wright wasn't placed on the disabled list until May 16, but he might have played with the stress fracture in his back for nearly a month. Wright believes he was first injured April 19 as he tried to make a diving tag of Carlos Lee at third base.
July 22 also is the approximate date for the return of Jose Reyes, who began doing some limited baseball activities Saturday at AT&T Park.
Davis ditches harness
Ike Davis made a significant stride on the treadmill when he ran without the help of a weight-bearing harness. The next step is for Davis to try running on the field, which could occur Sunday or Monday. If there is no discomfort, Davis should be able to resume baseball activities shortly.
"We'll see how he feels," Collins said.
Johan Santana is on pace to begin his "spring training" regimen Monday, and that clock could have him back on the Mets in six weeks . . . Angel Pagan said the Mets have sent video of Andres Torres' ninth-inning error to the MLB offices in the hope of having it changed to a double for him. Just last month, the Mets asked for a review of Andrew McCutchen's two-run double. It was changed to an error by Daniel Murphy and R.A. Dickey had two earned runs deducted from his total.