PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Upon hearing Sunday that Ryan Zimmerman had just received a six-year, $100-million contract extension from the Nationals, David Wright probably longed for the peace of mind his good friend and fellow third baseman now will enjoy through the 2019 season.
"I think Ryan did it the right way," Wright said. "Now it's out of the way for him. Apparently, it's a distraction even when you're not the one getting the extension."
Wright, of course, was talking about himself. Weeks ago, he fielded questions about getting traded, and Sunday, after the news of Zimmerman's deal, he had to face an interrogation about his long-term future in Flushing.
Wright is entering the final year of his $55-million contract, but the Mets hold a $16-million option for 2013, and so far there has been no conversation about an extension beyond that. Would he want a package similar to Zimmerman's?
"I think I've made that pretty clear," Wright said, reiterating his desire to finish his career with the Mets. "Obviously, this stuff takes time. You don't just come up with this overnight. We haven't approached the Mets and the Mets haven't approached my side, so it's kind of status quo.
"Ryan is in a different situation. He's been there through a lot of downs and it looks like he's going to be there for a lot of ups as well, because they're obviously making some strides in the right direction."
Wright, 29, and Zimmerman, 27, not only grew up together in Virginia Beach but played on the same travel teams -- along with the Rays' B.J. Upton -- and remain close. Both were first-round draft picks. Wright is a five-time All-Star with a career .887 OPS and 183 homers in his first 1,106 games. Zimmerman has made it to one Midsummer Classic, has a career .834 OPS and has hit 128 homers in 845 games.
"I'm really excited and happy for him because that's what he wanted," Wright said. "He loves it there and that's kind of become our hometown team per se, so I know that's where he wanted to be."
As much as Wright has maintained that he wants to stay with the Mets -- despite their struggles -- he also knows they probably have to sort out their money issues before engaging in any contract talks. Two years ago, the Mets picked up Jose Reyes' $11-million option before letting him walk in free agency this offseason.
"I'm not sure how much that has to do with the players on the field," Wright said, "but I'm sure they'd like to get that cleared up. But we haven't even made a phone call; they haven't even made a phone call. I'm not sure of the protocol, but I would assume the team pretty much approaches the player, so we'll wait and see.
"I'm very happy with my situation. I'm just going to go out, try to play and not worry about it because the last thing on my mind is next year and the year after that."