PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Leftfielder Yoenis Cespedes received a cortisone shot in his sore right wrist Tuesday and won’t play for at least a few days.
The Mets still consider Cespedes day-to-day, as they did Tuesday, and he has not had an MRI, manager Mickey Callaway said.
“We’re going to see how he’s feeling the next couple of days and get him back out there when he’s ready,” Callaway said. “Not very concerned. He’s had it before, he said he battled through it and it was fine. Hopefully it was the same thing he was feeling a couple of years ago.”
Cespedes felt the wrist discomfort last week and played through it (he homered Sunday). Callaway said he would not change anything about how Cespedes or the Mets have handled the situation.
“He did the right thing,” Callaway said. “When you’re a baseball player, you have to play through some things. I think he tried to play through it and felt like he couldn’t, so we addressed it and we’ll have him back in a few days.”
Who’s No. 5?
With the Mets looking, for now, at righthanders Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman in relief roles, the primary options for the final rotation spot appear to be righthander Zack Wheeler and lefthander Steven Matz.
Matz bounced back from a rough first inning Wednesday against the Marlins to last 4 1/3 innings (77 pitches), allowing two runs, three hits and three walks. He struck out five.
“I was trying to be too fine,” Matz said of a first inning that required more than 30 pitches. “I felt like I was trying to find it the first inning instead of just letting it go and trusting my stuff . . . I’ve been battling that my whole career. Kind of calming myself down and attacking hitters instead of trying to be too perfect.”
Callaway said he has no timeline to make a decision, and it won’t be based strictly on results.
“The one thing we’re still evaluating is the way they attack hitters,” Callaway said. “If they attack the right way, we know their stuff is going to play. We just have to know that they’re willing to go out there and do it that way.”
First-base prospect Peter Alonso was a part of the Mets’ second round of cuts Wednesday.
The team reassigned Alonso, outfielders Zach Borenstein and Kevin Kaczmarski, catcher Patrick Mazeika and third baseman David Thompson to minor league camp. They also optioned righthanders Chris Flexen and Tyler Bashlor to the minors side.
The Mets have 44 players left in big league camp.
Righthander Anthony Swarzak (left calf strain) is scheduled to pitch Saturday against the Nationals, which would be his first game since Feb. 27. He said he felt fine in a simulated game Wednesday and has been doing running drills to test the calf. He had been pushing to make a Grapefruit League appearance mid-week, but “It’s good to have smarter people than me making the (rehab) program,” he said . . . Outfielder Michael Conforto (shoulder surgery) said he hopes to play in a Grapefruit League game next week — the last week of exhibitions — but the team has not told him that will definitely happen . . . Righthander Rafael Montero, who has no more minor league options, had another bad game Wednesday, allowing six baserunners in two-thirds of an inning. He has a 9.00 ERA and 2.33 WHIP in five spring games.