ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The Yankees' best hitter the last month is done for the season.
The club announced Tuesday that utility man Martin Prado was placed on the 60-day disabled list after an emergency appendectomy.
"He started complaining during the game [Monday night] and after the game it got worse," general manager Brian Cashman said early Tuesday afternoon. "He went to the hospital and at 3 a.m., he had surgery on his appendix."
The Yankees signed infielder Jose Pirela to a major-league contract and selected him to the active roster as a corresponding roster move.
Prado, since being acquired from the Diamondbacks on July 31, has hit .316 (42-for-133) with a .336 on-base percentage, seven homers and 16 RBIs in 37 games. In his last 10 games, Prado, dealing with a hamstring issue in the last week, hit .441 with a .441 OBP, three homers and four RBIs.
"He's been everything we hoped he could be," said Cashman, who acquired Prado because of his ability to play second, third, right and leftfield. "I'm thankful we were able to run into him. He gives us a lot of flexibility moving forward but first things first. Right now, it's rest and recover."
Prado, who turns 31 next month, is under the Yankees' control in 2015 and 2016, due $11 million each season.
The news was yet another injury blow for a club that has taken its share this season.
"Injuries are a part of the game," Cashman said. "We're just thankful that he's OK."
That would not be how anyone would describe the Yankees at this point of the season, eliminated from the AL East race Monday and very likely soon to be out of the wild-card chase.
"It's frustrating but self-inflicted," Cashman said. "We've earned our place in the standings by how we've performed. It's frustrating but we're all part of it."