BALTIMORE — Weather continues to affect the Yankees’ schedule, with much more to come.
One night after rain delayed the start of their game against the Orioles 2 hours, 14 minutes, Wednesday night’s game was postponed because of rain. The Yankees and Orioles will play the third game of their series at 1:35 p.m. Thursday — it was an off day for both — before heading to Dallas that night.
The Yankees play three games against the Rangers starting Friday night, and after that series things will get interesting again because of Hurricane Irma.
Various models have the storm hitting the Tampa area Sunday or even Monday, which is when the Yankees and Rays are scheduled to start a three-game series at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg.
Several options have been discussed, including moving the series to a neutral site such as the home of the White Sox, Guaranted Rate Field.
“The little that I’ve heard is we could possibly fly in (to Tampa) on Monday and play a game on Tuesday and a doubleheader maybe on Wednesday,” Joe Girardi said after the announcement that Wednesday’s game had been postponed. “Or we could possibly fly in on Tuesday and play a doubleheader on Wednesday and figure out how to make up the other game. They’ve talked about moving it. So nothing really clear. I think it’s probably about as uncertain as the exact track of the storm.”
It would seem that the Rays haven’t warmed to the idea of playing the games at a neutral site, and moving the games to the Bronx is a nonstarter.
If the Yankees end up playing a doubleheader, it would be their fourth of the season and second in two weeks. They were swept in their most recent, by the Indians, Aug. 30 at the Stadium.
“You’d prefer not to play a doubleheader, especially this time of the year,” Girardi said. “But Mother Nature is something we’ve never really been able to outwit, so you have to deal with it.”
But Girardi he preferred the neutral site option to a potential doubleheader.
“I think that would be better,” he said. “But I understand their point of view, too. They don’t want to give up their home games and their homefield advantage, so you just have to deal with it.”
But, first things first, which is finishing up this series against the Orioles, who at 71-68 are one game out of the second wild card. Today’s pitching matchup is the same as Wednesday night’s — Sonny Gray (8-9, 3.36) against Orioles righthander Kevin Gausman (10-9, 4.79).
The decision to postpone Wednesday night’s game came about 4:30 p.m., after the Yankees had arrived at the stadium and suited up. There was some early thought that a window might open later in the night that would allow the game to be played, but ultimately the forecast showed that to be a long shot at best.
“I don’t think you want to stick around and maybe start a game at midnight and then not know exactly when it’s going to stop raining, (so) it’s probably best for all,” Girardi said. “And it’s supposed to be sunny tomorrow, so that will be the first time we’ve seen the sun.”