Good Morning
Good Morning

Knicks hold off Magic as Carmelo Anthony, Raymond Felton leave with injuries

Carmelo Anthony looks on during the second half

Carmelo Anthony looks on during the second half of a game against the Washington Wizards at Madison Square Garden. (Dec. 16, 2013) Credit: Getty Images

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The last two Knicks to leave the visiting locker room were Carmelo Anthony and Raymond Felton, and one was hobbling worse than the other.

Anthony sprained his left ankle and Felton heard "a pop" in his right groin in the Knicks' hard-fought but costly 103-98 win over the Magic Monday night at Amway Center.

It's been an injury-ravaged and disappointing season for the Knicks (9-18). Six of their top 10 players, including Felton, have missed multiple games, and they're hoping Anthony doesn't become the seventh. Both will be re-evaluated Tuesday.

"It's just that type of year," Felton said. "Pray for us. Pray for us. I'm serious, though."

Anthony went up for an offensive rebound, landed awkwardly on the foot of former Half Hollow Hills West standout Tobias Harris, immediately left the game and never returned. Anthony believes he will be able to play when the Knicks host the Thunder wednesday afternoon.

"It's on," Anthony said of his ankle. "I still have it. It ain't going nowhere, so I'll be there . . . It's Christmas in the Garden. I don't want to miss that game.

"I'm walking. I think I caught it before it rolled all the way, but it rolled pretty bad."

Anthony tried to walk it off but said "the pain was too much." He said he "severely" sprained his ankle last season -- which kept him out of two games -- and that this felt nothing like that. But at this point, he's not considering resting a few days to avoid risking further injury.

"I'm hard-headed sometimes when it comes to that," he said.

Felton, who returned Monday night after missing six games with a strained left hamstring, is less likely to play tomorrow. He reached for his groin late in the fourth quarter, and when he tried to run, he fell to the floor. He exited with what the Knicks called a strained right groin.

"Very disappointed, man, can't catch a break," Felton said. "I'm wishing for the best, though. I felt a pop. But maybe it was just from my body just being stretched out like that. So we'll see what happens. Hopefully, it's nothing."

The Knicks, already missing Pablo Prigioni, Kenyon Martin and Metta World Peace, jumped all over the Magic in the second quarter and led by 25 early in the third quarter.

It was 72-52 when Anthony left with 7:26 left in the third. The Magic drew within 84-83 in the fourth, but the Knicks never relinquished the lead.

Andrea Bargnani made some big shots, Iman Shumpert had two huge defensive plays and Beno Udrih made six foul shots in the final 26.7 seconds.

"Us pulling this game out helped my ankle out," said Anthony, who led the Knicks in scoring with 19 points. J.R. Smith had 18 and Bargnani 13.

Arron Afflalo scored 26 and Glen Davis had 20 for Orlando (8-20). Jameer Nelson added 17 and Harris scored 14.

After the Magic cut it to one, Bargnani hit a long jumper with 7:30 left to make it 86-83. On their next possession, the Knicks went up by six on Smith's three-pointer.

With the Knicks clinging to a 93-91 lead, Bargnani hit a pull-up jumper, and Shumpert's steal and fast-break layup put them on top 97-91 with 1:40 left.

It was 97-93 when Shumpert made another huge play, racing back to slap the ball out of Davis' hands before going up for a fast-break layup.

"I applaud our team because we withstood the run and we made plays," Mike Woodson said. "After losing two starters, I applaud our guys."

New York Sports