Good Morning
Good Morning

Nets blow 17-point lead, fall to unbeaten Warriors in overtime

Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry drives for the

Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry drives for the basket during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Brooklyn Nets, Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015, in Oakland, Calif. Nets' Thaddeus Young is at left. Credit: AP / George Nikitin

OAKLAND, Calif. - Could be time for the Nets to take out a patent. They've easily cornered the market on creating new, excruciatingly frustrating ways to lose.

Exhibit No. 9 came Saturday night against the Warriors.

The Nets had more than their share of opportunities to be the first team to knock off the defending champs this season, and all they needed to do was make one -- just one -- play in the waning seconds to pull off the stunner.

But there was a costly eight-second violation by Jarrett Jack. The Nets didn't heed coach Lionel Hollins' wishes to foul to thwart a potential tying three-pointer, and Andre Iguodala tied it. Then Brook Lopez missed a point-blank layup at the end of regulation.

Those brutal gaffes gave the Warriors new life each time and ultimately led to the Nets' gut-wrenching demise in a 107-99 overtime loss to Golden State (11-0) at Oracle Arena.

Yielding the first 10 points in OT cemented the Nets' fate as they fell to 1-9.

"No one wants to work hard or put the type of work we put in to not come out with a victory," Jack said. "They say almost only counts in horseshoes and definitely not the sport we are playing. I speak for all of us when I say we are a little frustrated with not being able to come out with the 'W.' "

Particularly on a night when Stephen Curry was a little off. He finished with 34 points but shot 13-for-31.

Jack, who led the Nets with 28 points and nine assists, could have had a major hand in sealing it in regulation. The teams traded the lead five times in the final 1:45 and the Nets appeared to have it under control when Curry showed he indeed is human and missed a layup with 22.9 seconds left.

But Jack couldn't get the ball upcourt fast enough and was whistled for an eight-second violation, giving the Warriors life.

"When I looked at the shot clock, the shot clock was off and usually you try to equate the eight seconds with the shot clock being at 16," Jack said. "So when I looked up -- and I wasn't quite sure when I had grabbed the basketball and how much time had elapsed. But even still, man, I should have been smarter than that.

"I should have been able to call timeout in the backcourt, knowing that it was under two minutes and we had been able to advance the ball regardless of the time situation."

But Jack made amends by deflecting Curry's pass intended for Draymond Green, and the ball landed in Thaddeus Young's hands. Young was fouled and hit both free throws to put the Nets up 97-94 with 9.9 seconds left.

But they failed to foul and Iguodala buried a three-pointer to tie it at 97 with 5.9 seconds remaining.

Hollins said he instructed his players to foul immediately. But they didn't, for whatever reason, and Young shouldered some of the blame.

"Well, there's a lot of people talking in the timeout," said Young, who had 26 points and 10 rebounds. "But I definitely should have fouled Draymond when he caught the ball, or as soon as Andre Iguodala got the ball, we should have fouled him also."

The Nets still had one final fruitless gasp after Jack's jumper from the left corner rimmed out with 1.3 seconds left in regulation. Curry ended up with the ball and stepped out of bounds, giving the Nets one more crack at it with five-tenths of a second left.

Joe Johnson lofted a beautiful pass to Lopez in the lane and Lopez put up the 2-foot shot in one motion -- only to see it carom off the back rim.

"Joe, he put that on a platter and I blew it," Lopez said.

He added: "It's tough. I don't want to be negative but we definitely had our chances. The play right there at the end, we got that eight-second violation. We felt we called a timeout. We didn't foul immediately when the ball came inbounds on their previous possession and I blew that chip shot at the end. Joe made a perfect pass. It was exactly the way the play was drawn up and so we absolutely had our opportunities.

"We were right there. It's tough. We feel like we could have had this one."

But they didn't get it and ended their three-game trip at 1-2.

"It was tough," Johnson said. "We fought to the end and just in overtime we just kind of [fizzled].''

New York Sports