ORLANDO, Fla. -- Not long after suggesting the Nets might not be able to reach a buyout agreement with Croatian sharpshooter Bojan Bogdanovic, Billy King admitted Wednesday the Nets have pulled the plug on trying to bring him over from Europe.
The Nets had agreed to a three-year deal with Bogdanovic last week, but were attempting to come to a settlement on a buyout with Istanbul-based Fenerbahce, the team the 24-year-old played for the past two seasons. They were hoping the 6-8 Bogdanovic could provide an offensive lift off the bench behind Paul Pierce with the second unit at small forward.
Jason Kidd expressed some disappointment on the sudden turnaround.
"You think you had a deal done and he's coming over," the Nets coach said after their summer league loss to the Jazz. "So, but Billy and Dimitry [Razumov, who's Mikhail Prokhorov's right hand man and CEO of Onexim Group] and the guys in management will figure it out what's the plan and which direction we will go now. But you thought he was coming over, but I think Billy and those guys can handle Plan B."
King said the Nets had a backup plan they'd look to execute and he believes whatever potential target they'd try to sign would accept the mini midlevel exemption of $3.3 million.