TODAY'S PAPER
58° Good Morning
58° Good Morning
SportsBoxing

A Top Rank and Golden Boy reunion?

Could we be witnessing a real breakthrough? Could Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions be on their way to seriously burying the hatchet?

Signs of reconciliation between the two promotional giants became evident last month when Manny Pacquiao settled his defamation lawsuit against Golden Boy. Things got a even a little more clear when Bob Arum told ESPN.com “we’re ready” do put Julio Cesar Chavez into the ring against one of Golden Boy Promotion's brightest stars in 20-year-old Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.

It would be a complete reversal in course if the fight actually happens. Chavez Jr. has a big name, in part because of his famous father Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. This was proven after his win over Sebastian Zbik on June 4. The bout, broadcast on HBO’s Boxing After Dark, drew big ratings.

Alvarez (37-0-1) stopped Ryan Rhodes last Saturday in front of a packed house at Arena VFG in Mexico. If Alvarez, Mexico’s most famous fighter, really drew 36 million viewers to Mexico’s TV network Televisa as the WBC claimed, a bout with Chavez Jr. (43-0-1) could be a hit.

There’s no guarantee this fight is going to happen this year, however. If it doesn’t happen this year, it won’t be because the two companies are at odds. We’re nearly in July and the two sides haven’t spoken with each other about a possible matchup.

If talks haven’t taken place by now, there’s little a chance a fight between the two will happen this year, especially with the possibility of a matchup between Chavez Jr. and Miguel Cotto on tap for next spring.

That notwithstanding, boxing fans have reason for optimism. The fact that Arum even said he was open to putting one of his rising stars in the ring against a Golden Boy opponent is a step in the right direction.
 

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

New York Sports