TODAY'S PAPER
68° Good Morning
68° Good Morning
SportsBoxing

Christy Martin withdraws from Cotto card

Christy Martin won't be going for her 50th win anytime soon.

The WBC female super welterweight champion suffered a rib injury in training camp last week and as a result withdrew from her fight against Dakota Stone set for March 12 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The Martin-Stone bout was scheduled to open the Showtime PPV bout between Miguel Cotto and Ricardo Mayorga.

“In sparring about a week ago I got hit with a hard punch to the left side, in the ribs. It was a good punch and it got me real good,” said Martin. “For the next few days I tried wrapping that area but there was still pain when I tried to spar.”

Martin's doctor confirmed the injury.

"Christy had a CT scan which revealed a fresh fracture of the fifth rib," said Dr. Robert Voy, Las Vegas.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

New York Sports