The path for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. is finally becoming clear to the boxing world.
The son of hall-of-famer Julio Cesar Chavez had been criticized in media circles for avoiding the big fights to preserve his gaudy record. The criticism wasn't just limited to him as promotional giant Top Rank has also been hit for keeping Chavez Jr. (45-0-1, 37 KOs) out of the big fights.
Outside of a solid win against Sebastian Zbik last June and wins over Marco Antonio Rubio and Peter Manfredo Jr., Chavez Jr.’s resume doesn’t pack much of a punch, especially considering the number of fights he’s been in.
Calls for Chavez Jr. to fight the likes of Canelo Alvarez, Sergio Martinez or even a young fireballer like James Kirkland had fallen on deaf ears.
That’s not the case anymore. Top Rank boss Bob Arum laid out the plan for Chavez Jr. to reporters at the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley press conference on Thursday at Chelsea Piers.
Arum said Chavez Jr.’s next opponent will likely be England’s Marty Murray (23-0-1, 10 KOs) on June 16th. “[He] just fought [Felix] Sturm and they called it a draw. But Murray really won,” said Arum.
Said Arum: “What we want to do is have Chavez to fight a PPV fight in September –if he wins this fight– against Kelly Pavlik…or maybe [Antonio] Margarito. And then he’ll maybe fight, before the end of the year, Andy Lee so he gets used to fighting a southpaw. And then he’ll be ready early next year to fight Martinez.”
Marquez, Donaire at Cowboy Stadium?
July 14 could also be a big date for Top Rank. Arum said he's opening to feature Juan Manuel Marquez and Nonito Donaire in a co-feature at Cowboy Stadium. A possible opponent for Marquez could be undefeated Mercito Gesta.