Here it is. The list of fights the Neutral Corner like to see next year. Many of these fights won't happen, but there's nothing wrong with hoping.
1. Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather: I’m almost ready to accept the fact that this fight won't happen. And if it does, both fighters will be too old and past their primes for it to really matter.
2. Andre Berto vs. Victor Ortiz (Part II): I was at this fight and loved it. Ortiz’s poor showing against Floyd Mayweather notwithstanding, he would slug it out with Berto.
3. James Kirkland vs. Canelo Alvarez: This would be a candidate for the fight of the century. Kirkland’s power is impressive, while Alvarez has become a cult hero in Mexico. No way this fight happens anytime soon, though.
4. Tim Bradley vs. Amir Khan: This fight would’ve happened last summer if not for a legal battle between Bradley and his former promoter Gary Shaw.
5. Sergio Martinez vs. anyone: Poor Sergio, the guy can’t get a break. No one wants to fight him. And he’s getting older (36), so his opportunities will begin to dwindle. The Neutral Corner wouldn’t mind seeing Martinez vs. Miguel Cotto or perhaps James Kirkland. Neither of those fights will happen. Top Rank isn’t about to put Cotto, who’s still a moneymaker, in with Martinez and Kirkland might not be ready yet.
6. Canelo Alvarez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.: Who wouldn’t want to see the battle for Mexico?
7. Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto: If you consider Pacquiao’s less-than-par performances against Shane Mosley and Juan Manuel Marquez, this has the makings of a great fight.
8. Mike Jones vs. Andre Berto/Victor Ortiz: The Neutral Corner would love to see one of Philadelphia’s finest get his first shot at the big time.
9. Marcos Maidana vs. Amir Khan (Part II): The first fight was a thriller. The NC wants to see it again.
10. Andre Ward vs. Lucan Bute: This fight definitely has a chance of happening, assuming Ward beats Carl Froch in the Super Six final in December. There are many who thought Bute should’ve been in the Super Six to begin with.