It's not exactly a hometown fight, but for Chris Algieri, it's close enough.
Huntington's Algieri (19-0) will challenge Ruslan Provodnikov (23-2) for the Siberian's WBO junior welterweight world title on June 14 at the Barclays Center. HBO will the televise the bout, which was originally scheduled for the Nassau Coliseum.
"It doesn't make a difference," said Algieri, 30, speaking at a news conference on Wednesday to formally announce the fight. "At the end of the day, I'm a fighter, Ruslan is a fighter, we're going to be in the ring with each other and it doesn't matter where we are fighting. The Barclays Center is beautiful. My fans will still come out."
Last week, the fight was announced for the Nassau Coliseum, a coup for Algieri in his first world title attempt because he has a strong Long Island following. But Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, a fan of Provodnikov, used his influence at the Barclays Center and the Coliseum to have the fight moved.
"This is going to be a great fight no matter where it takes place," said Joe DeGuardia, Algieri's promoter. "This is a classic matchup between a boxer and a brawler. I believe that Chris' skill as a boxer is going to give him the victory."
Provodnikov, who has 16 KOs, is considered one of the toughest fighters in the sport. Algieri said that he and the champion impose their will on opponents but in different manners. "Ruslan breaks down his opponents by battering them, I out-think them," he said.
Long Beach light heavyweight Seanie Monaghan is fresh off a win on last weekend's Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley card, but was announced Wednesday as one of the primary undercard bouts for the Provodnikov-Algieri card. Monaghan is 21-0 and ranked No. 5 by the IBF.