CARDIFF, Wales — Former world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury was cleared Friday to make his long-awaited return to the ring after being told by British boxing authorities that his suspension will be lifted.
Fury has not fought since beating Wladimir Klitschko in November 2015 to win the WBA, IBF and WBO belts, a result that shocked boxing and revitalized the heavyweight division.
The British Boxing Board of Control suspended Fury in 2016 for drug and medical issues, amid a separate U.K. Anti-Doping investigation. That UKAD case ended last month when Fury accepted a backdated two-year doping ban for elevated levels of nandrolone in urine samples.
Now, following an interview at the offices of the BBBofC in Cardiff, Fury has been told the suspension of his boxing license will be lifted “subject to receipt and clearance of all medical requirements.”
Robert Smith, general secretary of the BBBofC, had said its priority was to make sure Fury was “mentally fit and physically fit” to resume fighting.
The outspoken Fury has already called out WBA and IBF champion Anthony Joshua, who has agreed to fight WBO champion Joseph Parker in Cardiff in March.
Fury still needs to lose weight, having bloated up to 350 pounds (nearly 160 kilograms), and has posted videos recently of him working in the gym.
He has talked about making a return to the ring in April.