Overcast 40° Good Morning
Overcast 40° Good Morning
SportsCollegeCollege Football

No. 20 Michigan manhandles No. 17 Nebraska 45-17

Michigan wide receiver Roy Roundtree (12) celebrates a

Michigan wide receiver Roy Roundtree (12) celebrates a 38-yard touchdown catch by wide receiver Martavious Odoms, center, as Nebraska cornerback Andrew Green (11) looks on during the fourth quarter of an NCAA college football game. (Nov. 19, 2011) Photo Credit: AP

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Denard Robinson threw two touchdown passes and ran for two scores to help No. 20 Michigan rout No. 17 Nebraska 45-17 Saturday.

The Wolverines (9-2, 5-2 Big Ten) moved into second place in the conference's Legends Division and kept its chances of playing in a BCS bowl for the first time since the 2006 season.

The Cornhuskers (8-3, 4-3) lost any hope of playing in the Big Ten's first title game.

Michigan State clinched its spot in the Dec. 3 game in Indianapolis with a win over Indiana and Michigan's victory against Nebraska.

The Wolverines, who lost to the Spartans this year, can't win their division, but they have plenty to play for next week at home against Ohio State. The Buckeyes have won seven straight games in the storied rivalry.

Some of the 113,718 fans at Michigan Stadium on Saturday broke out a "Beat Ohio!" chant in the fourth quarter — and again after the game.

The Wolverines turned a close game against Nebraska into a rout with 21 straight points after it was tied at 10.

Robinson, a stingy defense and Cornhuskers miscues had a lot to do with that.

Robinson was 11 of 18 for 180 yards with two TDs and an interception. He ran for 83 yards and two scores in three-plus quarters. Devin Gardner finished the game at quarterback after Fitzgerald Toussaint's second score put Michigan up 45-17. Toussaint had 138 yards rushing and two scores on 29 carries.

Robinson ran for his second TD early in the third quarter to make it 24-10 after Nebraska's Kenny Bell lost a fumble on the kickoff.

The Wolverines had a chance to take a 17-point lead on their next drive, but faked a field goal against the flat-footed Cornhuskers with holder Drew Dileo running for a first down to set up Toussaint's 1-yard TD run.

Nebraska pulled within two TDs on the ensuing drive, capped by a crafty play that started with a handoff to Rex Burkhead and finished with an option pitch to Ameer Abdullah for a 3-yard score, but couldn't get closer.

Michigan's defense, which has improved under first-year coach Brady Hoke after struggling the previous three years with Rich Rodriguez, didn't allow the Cornhuskers to convert a third down until late in the third quarter after they failed on their first seven chances.

Just when it looked as if Nebraska might get some momentum in the game, shutting down Michigan on consecutive drives, Wil Richards was called for roughing the kicker on a punt and the Wolverines put the game out of reach.

Robinson converted a third down in a big way, perfectly heaving a pass from just inside the 50 to the back of the end zone into the hands of Martavious Odoms to make it 38-17 with 10:14 left in the game.

Nebraska's Tim Marlowe lost a fumble on the ensuing kickoff and Taylor Martinez fumbled the next time the Cornhuskers had the ball just after he completed two passes in a row for the first time in the game.

On the next snap, Toussaint ran for a 31-yard TD to make it 45-17.

All in all, the Cornhuskers' first game at Michigan Stadium since 1962 was simply miserable and it might've reminded them of their Big Ten debut this year — a 48-17 loss at Wisconsin.

Nebraska scored its first 10 points on Martinez's 54-yard pass to Brandon Kinnie, who took advantage of three defensive backs falling on the play late in the first quarter, and Brett Maher's career-long 51-yard field goal after Robinson threw his 14th interception of the season.

Burkhead was held to a season-low 36 yards. Martinez was 9 of 23 for 122 yards with a TD and a fumble.

The only thing that didn't go well for Michigan was the power supply at the Big House. It went out more than an hour before kickoff, leaving one of the two video boards without power for much of the first half.

New York Sports