Good Morning
Good Morning
SportsCollegeCollege Football

Stony Brook running back Marcus Coker broke leg in motorcycle accident

Stony Brook running back Marcus Coker (34) cuts

Stony Brook running back Marcus Coker (34) cuts back at the line of scrimmage during an intersquad scrimmage on April 28, 2013. Credit: Joseph D. Sullivan

Stony Brook running back Marcus Coker was in a motorcycle accident on April 12, according to Suffolk County Police. Coker suffered a broken left leg, according to Seawolves football coach Chuck Priore. Coker is expected to make a full recovery before preseason practice on Aug. 1, according to Priore.

According to a Suffolk County Police spokeswoman, Coker, 22, was riding a motorcycle eastbound on Route 347 Nesconset Highway between Stony Brook Road and Nicolls Road on Saturday evening, April 12. Coker told police he swerved to avoid a collision with a Ford van. The two vehicles sideswiped each other. According to police, there was no alcohol involved, Coker was wearing a helmet and no citations were issued.

"Marcus was in my office [Monday] smiling and certainly feeling good about where he is today," Priore said. "He's starting school back up . . . He was lucky. He walked away with very minor injuries."

Setauket Fire Department responded to an accident report at 7:52 p.m. and transported Coker to Stony Brook University Hospital, according to police. Priore said he received a call about 20 minutes later but learned on his way to the hospital that Coker was conscious and talking. That evening, Priore said he spoke to Coker as he was lying in the emergency room wearing a neck brace.

"I said, 'How's your bike?' " Priore said. "He said, 'I don't really care. You won't see me on a motorcycle again.' He had a sense of humor. He's retired from motorcycles."

Priore said Coker, a 6-foot, 230-pound running back, also suffered abrasions on the left side of his body to his shoulder, forearm, thigh and knee. The break in Coker’s left leg was to the fibula, which is a non-weight-bearing bone, and it should heal within four weeks of the original injury.

"He's on crutches and wearing a walking boot," Priore said. "He's been getting care for [preventing] infections. The road rash is healing well. The doctors are very pleased. When we start our summer program [May 27], he will be part of it. He should be moving toward complete healing a short time after that."

After transferring from Iowa in 2012, Coker rushed for 1,018 yards and nine touchdowns as a junior. He rushed for 193 yards and one touchdown last year but suffered an abdominal injury and was granted another year of eligibility.

Coker had recovered from abdominal surgery and participated in two non-contact practices in the spring. He was scheduled to resume contact in the Tuesday practice after the accident but probably would have been held out of Saturday's 1:30 p.m. spring football game at LaValle Stadium.

"If there's any silver lining, it gives that injury a little bit more rest," Priore said. "The nice thing is he's going to be 100 percent healthy. Everybody is lucky."

New York Sports