Good Afternoon
Good Afternoon
SportsCollegeCollege Football

Witness testifies he saw Sandusky abuse boy

Former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry

Former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky arrives at the Centre County Courthouse for opening statements in his trial on 52 counts of child sexual abuse involving 10 boys over a period of 15 years in Bellefonte, Pa. (June 11, 2012) Credit: AP

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- A former Penn State assistant coach testified Tuesday that he was certain he witnessed sex between Jerry Sandusky and a boy in a campus locker room.

Mike McQueary, one of the star witnesses in the child sexual abuse case against Sandusky, also testified that he slammed his locker shut loudly as if to say, "Someone's here! Break it up!" Then, he said, he went upstairs to his office to try to make sense of what he had seen.

Sandusky, 68, is on trial on charges he molested 10 boys over a 15-year period. Authorities say he abused them in hotels, at his home and inside the football team's quarters. The former assistant coach and founder of an acclaimed youth charity has denied the allegations.

The scandal resulted in the downfall of legendary football coach Joe Paterno. He was fired last fall, shortly after Sandusky's arrest, when it became known that McQueary had told Paterno about the shower episode a decade ago.

Two months after his dismissal, Paterno died of lung cancer at 85.

McQueary's account differed little from the one he gave in December at a preliminary hearing for two Penn State administrators charged with failing to report the shower episode to authorities. One difference: He said it took place in 2001 instead of 2002.

After describing what he saw, he testified, he called his father for advice. He said his father told him to leave immediately.

McQueary said he went to Paterno's house the next day and relayed what he had seen but did not describe the act explicitly.

He said Penn State administrator Tim Curley called him a week later, and McQueary met with him and another school official, Gary Schultz. They "just listened to what I had said," McQueary testified. A week or two later, he said, Curley called him to say they had looked into it.

McQueary, 37, was a graduate coaching assistant at the time and later became an assistant coach. He has been on paid leave since the scandal erupted.

Earlier Tuesday, the teenager who triggered the grand jury investigation became the second of the alleged victims to take the stand. He said Sandusky kissed him, fondled him and engaged in oral sex with him during numerous sleepovers in the basement of Sandusky's home while the coach's wife was upstairs.

He said he eventually confided in a school district guidance counselor that Sandusky was molesting him, only to be told by school officials: "He has a heart of gold, and he wouldn't do something like that."

"So they didn't believe me," the teenager said.

School officials ultimately referred the case to the county's child-welfare agency, which found his account credible.

New York Sports