70° Good Evening
70° Good Evening

Stony Brook falls in OT to Marist in lacrosse

Stony Brook's Brody Eastwood, who scored three goals

Stony Brook's Brody Eastwood, who scored three goals shoots past Marist goalie Brian Corrigan for the score in the first half of the Seawolves' loss at Lavalle Stadium on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 Credit: Joseph D. Sullivan

The Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team suffered a sudden-death loss last night at LaValle Stadium and, with it, its four-game win streak also ended. The foe? A bit unlikely. The loss? While not exactly devastating, it was perhaps a bit surprising.

The eighth-ranked Seawolves fell to Marist, 10-9. Marist’s Thomas Rago scored with 30 seconds left in overtime to lift the unranked Red Foxes (6-5), who won the MAAC Championship last season.

“It was pretty good ball movement,” Stony Brook coach Jim Nagle said of the game-ending play. “They moved it up top and were just spinning it around. Then, [J.D Recor] got it, and he’s a feeder. We didn’t recover. It was a good feed and a breakdown on our recovery to match up.”

Brody Eastwood led Stony Brook (9-3) with three goals. Matt Schultz netted two. Joseph Radin and Gannon Morrison both had four for Marist.

Stony Brook trailed by one entering the fourth quarter, needing to find the spark that has them so highly regarded in national polls. They found it, scoring four times in the final period, but it wasn’t enough. After Eastwood gave Stony Brook a one-goal lead with 4:22 left, the Red Foxes looked for one more breath of life.

They found it when Morrison put in an unassisted goal with 13 seconds left in regulation.

Stony Brook turned the ball over 12 times. Marist yielded only five turnovers.

“From an offensive standpoint, we weren’t executing well,” Eastwood said. “We had a few costly turnovers, and that definitely hurt us in the end.”

The close nature of the contest was evident from the opening faceoff. Stony Brook held serve against a heavy Marist onslaught in the first quarter. Marist took 10 shots, but only an unassisted offering by Morrison with 7:50 remaining found the net.

Stony Brook’s Zach Oliveri made five saves in the opening quarter, including three during a man-down stretch. His most athletic save came from point-blank range with 2:10 left in the quarter, off a dart from Recor.

After Stony Brook took a 2-1 lead on Eastwood’s goal with 14:38 left in the first half, Marist netted two. Morrison scored his second goal of the game off an assist from Recor with 9:09 left. Recor also assisted Joseph Radin with 2:37 left to give Marist a 3-2 lead.

Stony Brook’s Jeff Reh tied the score from 5 yards out with 1:13 left before halftime.

New York Sports