Good Morning
Good Morning
SportsCollegeStony Brook

Matt Robison's overtime goal gives Stony Brook 9-8 victory over Hartford

Stony Brook midfielder Matt Robison passes the ball

Stony Brook midfielder Matt Robison passes the ball upfield against UMBC in an NCAA men's lacrosse game at LaValle Stadium on Saturday, March 21, 2015. Credit: George A. Faella

Freshman Matt Robison's goal with 1:10 left in overtime gave No. 19 Stony Brook a 9-8 men's lacrosse victory over Hartford Friday night in West Hartford, Connecticut.

Robison, a defensive midfielder, scored his second goal of the season off a feed from Dylan Curry in transition to give the Seawolves their second straight overtime victory -- and second straight comeback from an 8-4 halftime deficit.

"We've continued to work on getting upfield and pushing transition without the ball,'' coach Jim Nagle said. "After the ball approached the mid-line, the guys did such a good job of not panicking. Matt controlled the goalie and got off a great shot.''

Said Robison, "I'm following the ball from behind as it gets to the mid-line. I saw there was a big scrum so I work my way to the outside. Rooney gets the ball to Curry and I crash the back-side pipe. Curry finds me and one fake later, it goes in.''

Said Curry, "I saw the ball make its way to the mid-line. I was trailing the play and Rooney got a great ground ball and passed it to me. I tried to draw a man and get the ball to Brody [Eastwood] on the pipe, but I heard Matt calling for the ball and I found him and he scored.''

A goal by Challen Rogers (two goals, one assist) and two goals by Mike Rooney (four goals, three assists) made it an 8-7 game before Ryan Bitzer scored with 1:07 remaining in the fourth quarter to tie it at 8-8.

Said Curry, "I told Challen at halftime that we're gonna get our defense in line and to keep scoring goals.''

Rooney, who has 42 goals and 56 assists this season for the Seawolves (12-4, 5-1 America East), scored or assisted on the Seawolves' first seven goals.

SBU goalie Hayden Johnstone did not allow a goal in the final 39:04 as Stony Brook outscored the Hawks 5-0 in that span. Hartford scored one goal in the final 44:56.

Said Nagle, "We've dealt with injuries lately, and it seems like every time a guy goes down, another steps up. Really proud of the poise we showed.''

Kevin O'Shea had four goals for Hartford (7-7, 3-3). Ryan Vanderford finished with 15 saves.

Stony Brook, which clinched the second seed in next week's conference tournament, will learn Thursday's opponent after the result of Saturday's Vermont-Binghamton game.

New York Sports