48° Good Morning
48° Good Morning
SportsCollegeStony Brook

Stony Brook men's lacrosse falls in overtime

Stony Brook midfielder Russ Bonanno drives to the

Stony Brook midfielder Russ Bonanno drives to the net guarded by Hartford midfielder Garrett Dollard. (April 21, 2012) Credit: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke

The last time Hartford played at LaValle Stadium, the numerals "0:01" glowed on the scoreboard after the Hawks broke a tie with Stony Brook in last season's America East championship game.

That last-second goal by Ryan Compitello abruptly ended the Seawolves' season at 10-4 and kept them out of the NCAA Tournament. A month later, coach Rick Sowell resigned to take the job at Navy.

The loss reverberated in Robbie Campbell's memory, and he said he could only shake his head when he looked at the scoreboard Saturday night. It showed another dramatic Hartford goal (this time to tie the score) with one second left in regulation.

Not long after that, the Hawks were dancing on the LaValle turf again after an 11-10 overtime win.

"Deja vu," Campbell said.

It wasn't Compitello but Hartford's Carter Bender who slung the underhanded winner 56 seconds into overtime.

This came after Stony Brook (4-9, 3-1 America East) took a 10-9 lead with 17 seconds remaining in regulation on a lunging goal by Campbell. But Rory Nunamacher rocketed a shot past goalie Sean Brady with one tick left to send it to overtime.

In the extra period, the Hawks (5-8, 2-2) won the faceoff and controlled the action until Bender wound up for the winner. It ended the Seawolves' regular-season conference winning streak at 18 games since March 28, 2009, and was their sixth one-goal loss this season.

"I'm hoping it makes us stronger," coach Jim Nagle said of the close losses. "It can wear on you, but we just need to stay positive, stay optimistic."

Nagle complained after the game that a second was added to the clock after Hartford took a timeout with eight seconds remaining in regulation. "I have no idea why," he said. "I would like an explanation, but I'm sure I'll never get one."

That second proved fateful. Hartford, if anything, knows what it's capable of with little time remaining. "They seem to like to score those one-second goals," Campbell said.

Campbell, Jeff Tundo and Matt Bellando had two goals each for Stony Brook. Nunamacher had four goals and Bender two for Hartford.

Stony Brook took a 5-2 lead but Hartford scored three unanswered goals to go up 7-6 in the third. Mike Rooney's goal put Stony Brook up 9-7 with 7:08 remaining, but Hartford stormed back to tie. On this field, against this team, the Hawks never seem to be out of it.

The Seawolves are tied for first place with Albany and UMBC. Because Stony Brook beat UMBC, 10-8, last week, defeating Albany Saturday night would guarantee home-field advantage throughout the conference tournament.

"We control our own destiny next week," Campbell said. "We've just got to keep our head up and look forward to the next game."

New York Sports