Few Clouds 31° Good Afternoon
Few Clouds 31° Good Afternoon
SportsColumnistsAnthony Rieber

Mets and Travis d’Arnaud await trade deadline

Travis d'Arnaud #18 of the New York Mets

Travis d'Arnaud #18 of the New York Mets prepares for a game against the Colorado Rockies at Citi Field on Friday, July 29, 2016 in the Queens Borough of New York City. Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac

With the trade deadline set for 4 p.m., Monday will be about waiting for the Mets and their fans before the opening game of the Subway Series at Citi Field.

Will they add that big bat? Will they upgrade the bullpen? Which man will “The Bachelorette” pick to spend the rest of her life with Monday night?

Sorry, that last one is for a different deadline event.

For the Mets, Sunday was all about waiting, too.

Waiting to see if Milwaukee catcher Jonathan Lucroy would accept his trade to the Indians (he didn’t). Waiting to see if the Mets and Brewers would rekindle their talks once the Indians deal fell through (they did). Waiting to see if Sandy Alderson would complete another trade as impactful as last year’s megadeal for Yoenis Cespedes (it’s hard to imagine any general manager topping that one).

No one typified the waiting more than poor Travis d’Arnaud, who is fast becoming this year’s version of poor Wilmer Flores.

D’Arnaud isn’t crying on the field, but he has had to deal with speculation all week that he is headed to the Brewers as part of the Mets’ Lucroy offer. Remember, it was the thought of ending up in Milwaukee that sent Flores to the tissue box instead of the bat rack last July 29.

D’Arnaud must have felt he was safe when the Lucroy deal to the Indians was finalized late Saturday night. All it needed was Lucroy’s approval, and who wouldn’t want to join a contender, even if the contender happens to play in Cleveland?

Lucroy, that’s who. He said no thanks.

So as d’Arnaud was answering questions about how happy and relieved he was to be staying with the Mets Sunday morning, a heartless and callous reporter informed him of Lucroy’s decision. Hello, uncertainty, my old friend.

To d’Arnaud’s credit, he handled both realities with the class he has always shown as a Met. He claimed to not be paying attention and said he wants to stay.

“I figured if I thought about it, it would probably tear me up a little bit,” he said.

As d’Arnaud spoke, fans were waiting outside Citi Field in the rain to get one of the 15,000 Mike Piazza bobbleheads the Mets gave out. Amazingly, some of the bobbleheads showed up on eBay a little before noon for the bargain price of $100.

Then the rain held up the start of the game by 38 minutes. More waiting. Noah Syndergaard threw the first pitch to Rockies leadoff man Charlie Blackmon, and then 10 more before the at-bat ended with a diving catch by Brandon Nimmo in right.

Nimmo, by the way, is also said to be one of the players the Mets offered to the Brewers for Lucroy. But all the rookie has done in his two stints with the Mets is smile. Not only is he happy to be here, he’s happy to be anywhere.

Syndergaard waited for his good stuff to show up, but it never did. He slogged through six innings and 118 pitches and left with the score tied at 3.

The Rockies took a 4-3 lead in the seventh on a sacrifice fly by Carlos Gonzalez. The way the Mets have hit with runners in scoring position (badly), Mets fans’ moods matched the sky over Flushing.

Dark. Gloomy.

But then Neil Walker hit a two-out, three-run homer off Boone Logan in the bottom of the seventh to give the Mets a 6-4 lead. When Jeurys Familia retired the Rockies in order in the ninth, the Mets’ four-game losing streak was over and joy returned to the clubhouse.

Now, bring on the deadline, and then bring on the Yankees. The waiting is almost over.

New York Sports