48° Good Afternoon
48° Good Afternoon
SportsColumnistsBob Glauber

Josh Brown says he’s leaving domestic-violence charge in the past

Josh Brown of the New York Giants celebrates

Josh Brown of the New York Giants celebrates his game-winning field goal during the final seconds of a game against the New Orleans Saints with teammate Jason Pierre-Paul at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016 in East Rutherford, N.J. Credit: Jim McIsaac

Josh Brown understands he’s not going to change anyone’s opinion, especially those who think he doesn’t deserve to be playing football because of his May 2015 arrest on a domestic-violence charge made by his then-wife.

“I have no comment for them,” the Giants kicker said Sunday after his first game since returning from a one-game suspension for violating the NFL’s personal-conduct policy. “Everybody has an opinion, and they’re allowed to have that.”

Nor is Brown interested in how he’s perceived after details of his arrest and statements from Molly Brown — including her allegations that there were as many as 20 incidents of domestic violence — were made public shortly after his suspension was announced last month.

“I can understand social perception, but I’m not going to go hunting down what the opinions are,” he said, “because the opinions are probably going to be wrong.”

In fact, the kicker has no interest in shedding any more light on his case. In his first comments since being reinstated last Monday, and a few minutes after kicking the winning field goal in the Giants’ 16-13 victory over the Saints, Brown declined to go into any detail about the circumstances behind his suspension.

“I have nothing to say about it, literally nothing,” Brown said when asked about his ex-wife’s allegations. “My family and I have moved on. My concern is my children. That’s it. Everything that I’ve said prior to the day my suspension came out is everything I’m going to say. I went through the process I was allowed, and that was [the NFL’s] decision. I accept the responsibility, and onward and upward. We have 14 more games to go.”

Brown was the focus of intense scrutiny last month as a result of his suspension, particularly in the aftermath of his previous public comments. The day after he told reporters last month that his arrest was because of “one moment” when he grabbed Molly Brown’s wrist, reports of her testimony during police interviews revealed she had told police there were many more instances of physical abuse.

The NFL investigated the case for more than a year before suspending Brown for one game. The penalty was much lighter than the league’s general guidelines for handling domestic-violence cases, which call for a baseline suspension of six games unless there are mitigating circumstances. The league explained after Brown’s one-game sanction that the case was complicated by the fact that neither Molly Brown nor police nor attorneys involved in the case were willing to cooperate in the NFL’s investigation.

“It was a single moment, an act,” Brown said Sunday, repeating his original claim.

There was no public apology from the kicker, either. Nor was there anything Brown wished to add. “Not one thing,” he said. “Again, there is no comment that I’m going to give you. My family and I have addressed these issues long before anybody else ever talked about them.”

Brown said he spent the week at his home in Woodinville, Washington, and spent time with his daughter. He watched the Giants beat the Cowboys, 20-19, at a friend’s house on Sept. 11.

Said Brown, “I took her to and from school, enjoyed my time with her and now I get to wait until October to see her again, and then Christmas.”

He said there was no need for any explanation about why he was home.

“She doesn’t care,” he said of his daughter. “Daddy’s home. That’s all she cares about.”

Once Brown returned to the Giants, he kept his focus on one thing. “I tried my best to continue to work with my teammates and continue to concentrate on football,” he said. “That was the main thing, to continue to be in position to play well.”

Brown’s 23-yard field goal with no time remaining sealed Sunday’s win. He also made field goals from 48 and 19 yards but missed a 53-yard attempt.

“It felt great,” he said. “It was good to be back. Long week last week, and it was hard to watch the [Cowboys] game, but it was great to be out there and be able to kick again and get a win under our belt. This was a big day, and I wanted to start off really strong. I’d like to have that 53-yarder back, but that’s part of it.”

Brown is grateful for another chance, and he expressed his thanks to Giants president and co-owner John Mara for sticking with him when public pressure might have resulted in his release.

“I appreciated everything Mr. Mara said,” Brown said. “He has quite a bit of knowledge about my situation, and I appreciated the fact that the Giants stood beside me and behind me. I’ll continue to do whatever I can to make sure they never regret their decision.”


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

New York Sports