If you think there have been more fourth-quarter comebacks than usual this season, you’re right. And it’s not just Tim Tebow, who has five straight fourth quarter comeback wins heading into today's game against the Patriots.
- There have been 60 fourth-quarter comebacks so far this season, only 10 short of the NFL record set in 1989.
- There have been 16 times this season in which a team has overcome a deficit of 14 or more points to win, one short of the most in a single season (17 in 1979, 1983, 1987 and 1996).
- Last Sunday, five teams – the Falcons, Jaguars, Texans, Cardinals and Giants – came back to win after trailing by 12 or more points, the most for a single day in NFL history.
- The Lions are the first team in NFL history to win three games in a season after trailing by at least 17 points. (item) 16 teams in the playoffs? (graph)
- As for Tebow, he’s contributing plenty to the comeback trend. In fact, his six game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime are the most of any quarterback in his first 11 starts since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.