The Colts said in a statement released minutes ago that quarterback Peyton Manning did, in fact, undergo surgery to have fusion surgery on a disk in his neck.
"As previously stated on Monday, Sept. 5th, Peyton Manning has undergone further testing and consultation with several specialists regarding his rehabilitation," the statement read. "The results of these tests and the consensus of the consultations was that further surgery was warranted. Peyton has undergone this surgery today by having a single level anterior fusion. The surgery was un-eventful."
The statement went on to call the procedure routine for many people in this country in various profession.
"This procedure is performed regularly throughout the country on persons from all walks of life, including professional football players," the statement said. "Two former Colts players had this same procedure last winter and have fully resumed their careers. Rehabilitation from such surgery is typically an involved process. Therefore, there will be no estimation of a return date at this time. We will keep Peyton on the active roster until we have a clearer picture of his recovery process."
The Colts players were not identified.
"Peyton will immediately begin the rehabilitation regimen mapped out by the surgeon."
Manning is expected to miss at least two months, and could be lost for the remainder of the season.