TAMPA, Fla. — Tampa Bay running back Doug Martin has been suspended four games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing substances and said Wednesday he’s entering a treatment facility rather than appeal the ban.
The two-time Pro Bowl selection who was the league’s second-leading rusher in 2015 will miss Sunday’s regular-season finale against Carolina.
He also sat out last week’s 31-24 loss at New Orleans after being declared inactive against the Saints.
Martin said in a statement that he learned of the suspension last week and that his “initial instinct” was to “appeal the suspension and finish the season with my teammates.”
The fifth-year pro said he decided to enter a treatment facility “and receive the help I truly need” after discussing the matter with people close to him, including Bucs coach Dirk Koetter.
Martin rushed for 1,402 yards and eight touchdowns in 2015. He signed a five-year, $37.75 million contract in the offseason.