Good Afternoon
Good Afternoon

Injury bug bites Giants hard vs. Cowboys

Cowboys linebacker Jabril Cox tackles Giants quarterback Daniel

Cowboys linebacker Jabril Cox tackles Giants quarterback Daniel Jones short of the end zone in the first half of an NFL game in Arlington, Texas, on Sunday. Credit: AP/Michael Ainsworth

ARLINGTON, Texas — After Daniel Jones was stopped short of the goal line on a bootleg to his left late in the second quarter — a collision that included helmet-to-helmet contact — the Giants’ quarterback spent a few seconds on the turf. And when he got up, he leaned over momentarily, his hands on his knees.

But when he tried to walk back to the huddle, Jones wobbled noticeably and was grabbed by teammates who steadied him so he could be looked at by the team’s medical staff.

A scary moment, indeed, but there was some encouraging news after the game.

Jones seemed better, was able to speak to teammates and coaches, and was expected to fly back with the team after a 44-20 loss to the Cowboys.

"I saw him in the locker room, and obviously we’re all hopeful he’ll be back and be healthy," said coach Joe Judge, who declined to specify anything further about Jones’ injury, other than to reiterate the team’s diagnosis of a concussion. "We’ll see where he is medically. You don’t want any player hurt in any capacity."

Jones was replaced by Mike Glennon.

"I thought he just got the wind knocked out of him," Glennon said. He realized that wasn’t so a few seconds later. "Any time you see a player stumble — it doesn’t matter if it’s a quarterback or not — it’s kind of scary. Just trying to make sure he was all right."

Glennon said he talked to Jones after the game.

"He was in good spirits," Glennon said. "Hopefully he’s able to [play]."

Jones wasn’t the only key starter lost to injury. Running back Saquon Barkley, who battled back from a torn ACL suffered early last season, stepped on the foot of Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons after a first-quarter incompletion and limped to the sideline. After being checked out by team trainers and doctors, Barkley’s ankle swelled up so much that he couldn’t continue.

There is no timetable for how long Barkley might be out, but his body language shortly after the injury wasn’t encouraging. He was visibly upset that he had been injured for a third time in the last three seasons, slapping his hands on his thighs and looking up in frustration.

"I really don’t know much more than the ankle [is injured]," Judge said. "I don’t know what the results are."

Barkley is expected to have further tests on Monday. The Giants will face the Rams next Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

Asked about Barkley’s mindset, given his diligent comeback from ACL surgery, Judge wouldn’t speculate.

"I couldn’t speak directly for the player," he said. "I care about the welfare and the health of the player. We’ll do the best thing we can with him."

As if losing Jones and Barkley wasn’t enough, wide receiver Kenny Golladay hurt his knee in the first quarter. He played the rest of the first half but didn’t come out for the second half.

"I hyperextended it," he said. "Tried to fight through it, but the pain got a little worse. It’s frustrating."

Golladay said he will get an MRI on Monday and "hope for the best."

New York Sports