Well, the final preseason game is here. The Backup Bowl. The chance for all the inexperienced young kids and over-the-hill veterans to prove they deserve to be on the 53-man roster.
There will be many discerning eyes watching tonight and trying to guess who makes the team and who doesn’t. And you can check other places for a good idea of the top couple of position battles or players to watch. Here, of course, we go deeper than most places. While they give you the top three or five or 10, we deliver to you before each game the Bottom Five Things to Look For. And in this game against the Patriots, the list is pretty deep. So here they are:
5. The Giants decide to keep Eli Manning on the field until he throws a touchdown pass. They won’t see him again until they return to Gillette Stadium on Nov. 6.
4. In what might be his final game as a Giant, Rhys Lloyd finally figures out that a UK medium is not the same as a US medium when it comes to jersey sizes.
3. John Mara and Bob Kraft get into a fistfight during a pregame meeting when both lay claim to the title of “The Man Who Saved The NFL.” Jeff Saturday comes out of nowhere to tilt the scales in Kraft’s favor.
2. Larry Izzo can help himself no longer and runs out onto the field to make three special teams tackles. For the Patriots.
1. Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick decide that their time is better spent reading Ernie Palladino’s new book “Lombardi and Landry” that just came out today than coaching such a meaningless affair.