At some really early hour this morning, around the same time I was putting my kids on their school bus here in NY, Bob Glauber caught up with Giants coach Tom Coughlin at the owners meetings in Orlando. He relayed a series of Tweets from that encounter. Rather than have you dig through various timelines on Twitter, I'll just give them to you right here:
- Coughlin says Osi Umenyiora has been at off-season program "with a smile on his face." Osi wants to be starter again. TC offers no guarantee.
- Coughlin said he was impressed by Alabama LB Rolando McClain at his pro day. TC spoke to Nick Saban about McClain.
- Tom Coughlin says Kenny Phillips still limited by knee injury. Hopeful he can start the season, but says team must be prepared if he can't.
- Coughlin says he anticipates team will have training camp in Albany but no official announcement yet. Says he prefers getting away for camp.
- Coughlin says he has not corresponded with Plaxico Burress, but might do so in near future. Says Plaxico will get another chance to play.
- TC says he doesn't envision Burress coming back to the Giants.
We members of the media who are stationed here in the northeast will get a chance to see the Giants in their locker room tomorrow and get updates from them.
By the way, Jerry Reese was on Sirius NFL Radio last night from Orlando and while he didn't say all that much (at least not a lot more than he did when he spoke at the Combine), he did go through a list of in-house linebackers that the Giants have. And the first name he mentioned?
Interesting since I had heard and told you earlier this offseason that the team was considering moving Gerris from outside to middle linebacker this season and allowing him to compete for the job. If he can stay healthy -- a big IF -- it might be an interesting experiment. Wilkinson was a pretty good middle linebacker at Georgia Tech before moving outside.