Overcast 41° Good Evening
Overcast 41° Good Evening

Tyler Sash died from accidental overdose, medical examiner says

Giants safety Tyler Sash runs through a drill

Giants safety Tyler Sash runs through a drill during training camp on July 30, 2013. Photo Credit: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke

Former Giants safety Tyler Sash died last month from what the Iowa state medical examiner's office called an accidental overdose of two pain medications, according to The Associated Press.

The AP reported that the autopsy suggested a recent shoulder dislocation and a history of chronic shoulder pain were "significant conditions" in Sash's death, resulting in an "accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocodone."

Further studies will look to see if Sash suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, a brain disease that has been found in former football players, the AP report said. It will take several months for those results to be available.

Sash was found dead in his Iowa home on Sept. 8. He was a star safety at the University of Iowa and a 2011 draft pick of the Giants. He was on the team that won Super Bowl XLVI.

New York Sports