Victor Cruz’ leverage for a new deal may never be higher than it is right now, coming off a 77-yard game-winning touchdown reception against the Redskins. He’s got so much of it, that some have suggested that he stage an in-season holdout and refuse to play anymore for his current salary of $540,000 this season.
“Never happen,” Cruz said on Wednesday.
But, it should be noted, Cruz did not rule out a holdout altogether.
“If I’m going to do that, I might as well do it at the beginning of the season, not wait until I’m doing well and just hold out,” he said. “I want to continue to help my team win. I want to win championships. I want to win football games. I’m not just holding out because I want to worry about a contract and the team’s going to panic if I hold out. I just want to go out there and play football and be myself.”
Cruz said he finds it amusing that so much attention is being paid to his contract status. He first addressed the topic with Newsday earlier this week, and then suggested on his weekly radio interview with WFAN on Tuesday that he’d like to have a new contract before the end of this season.
“There were about nine articles when I hung up the phone (on that interview),” Cruz said. “It’s part of football. It’s part of what you do now. I just don’t want it to become a large issue. I just want to continue to play football and worry about that.”
Cruz said he wants there to be a long-term deal with the Giants.
“That’s the hope and the dream,” he said. “I don’t want to be a guy to bounce around from team to team. I’m comfortable here. I feel like I’ve made a home here. I want to stay here if that’s possible.”
A mid-season holdout would only create bad blood between the two sides. There were suggestions that he use that approach posted on the Internet this morning, and they found their way to Cruz’ social media doorstep.
“I glanced at Twitter and saw my Twitter followers going crazy over it,” he said. “I read it and I chuckled.”