The Jets never talked to Tim Tebow about switching positions, so when the team selected Geno Smith in the second round of last week's NFL draft, someone had to be the odd-man out, general manager John Idzik said.
And on Monday, Tebow was handed his walking papers.
“We went into the draft not knowing what to anticipate as far as what positions we would come out with,” Idzik said Tuesday morning on ESPN radio. “And drafting Geno in the second round, it became apparent we had six quarterbacks, something had to give. And we felt it was appropriate, at that time, to release Tim.”
“This is a daily process that we go through, especially now that we’ve gone through the draft, we’ve committed to several undrafted college free agents,” Idzik continued. “Now the 90-man limit comes into play, whereas before the draft, it didn’t necessarily come into play. So we’re going to make tough decisions like that going forward.”
Back in December, however, a league source confirmed to Newsday that the Jets planned to part ways with Tebow after the 2012 season, either via trade or release. And the Jets – according to an ESPN report Monday -- gave Tebow permission this offseason to seek a trade, but the backup QB said no when asked by “more than one team” to switch to tight end.
“I don’t know if it was allowing him to seek a trade,” Idzik said, in an attempt to clarify the team’s position, “The way we looked at it was, really, we had a player on our roster that we would want to allow to compete. And we’ll always hold options open, in terms of either acquiring somebody else to up the competition or if there’s trade talks or whatnot. So that’s kind of a standard operating procedure. It doesn’t only apply to Tim or the quarterback position.
“We just entered this offseason open-minded. ‘Let’s bring Tim in, have him be in our offseason program and take it from there.’”